VMware Cloud Community
EdmontonIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving the VM containing vCenter to another ESXI host

I am currently learning/building my first virtualization setup. I made the mistake of leaving the block size of the datastores at 1mb. Now I need to rebuild one of my data stores.

I was able to use vcenter to migrate all of my other VM's off to another esxi server. But I don't know how to move the vCenter VM, as it needs to be shut down to be moved, but I need to use the migrate/converter tool to move it, which seems only accessable from within the VM.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Shut down vCenter Server and unregister (Remove from Inventory) it from the ESXi host's inventory. Then use e.g. Veeam's FastSCP to copy the VM's files/folder to the other hosts's datastore and register the VM to the ESXi host's inventory by right clicking the vmx file (Add to inventory). Make sure there are no snapshots on the vCenter Server!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Shut down vCenter Server and unregister (Remove from Inventory) it from the ESXi host's inventory. Then use e.g. Veeam's FastSCP to copy the VM's files/folder to the other hosts's datastore and register the VM to the ESXi host's inventory by right clicking the vmx file (Add to inventory). Make sure there are no snapshots on the vCenter Server!

André

0 Kudos