VMware Cloud Community
cherb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving hosts between vCenter Server 4.0.0 to vCenter 4.1.0

My present virtual center is 4.1.0 build 258902 running windows 2008 r2 64bit with an oracle database. The old virtual center is running vcenter 4.0.0 build 162856 with a ms sql database. Both are in their own workgroup. No domain so linked mode cannot be performed. The goal is to move hosts from the old vcenter to the new but around 80% it fails with error, "Unable to acquire licenses because the license source is unavailable. The license manager has not been started yet, the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or host name in the license file has been changed". Port 27000 and 27010 are open. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your hosts are 3.5? Have you instalkled the license server on the new vCenter and configured it?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Your hosts are 3.5? Have you instalkled the license server on the new vCenter and configured it?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What versions of ESX are you running on these host? Did you add your license files to the new 4.1 vCenter?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
cherb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The new vCenter is 4.1.0 build 258902 built from the ground up with an Oracle database, hosts are ESXi 4.1.0, 260247, does not require license server.

The other vCenter, version 4.0.0 build 162856 with a SQL database, hosts are ESXi 3.5.0, 123629

There are two vCenters. The goal is to retire the later and move the hosts over to the new.

I removed the ESXi 3.5.0 host from vCenter. When I enter it's license into the new vCenter it fails with error,

0 Kudos
cherb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The new vCenter is 4.1.0 build 258902 built from the ground up with an Oracle database, hosts are ESXi 4.1.0, 260247, does not require license server.

The other vCenter, version 4.0.0 build 12856 with a SQL database, hosts are ESXi 3.5.0, 123629.

There are two vCenters, the goal is to retire the later and move the hosts over to the new.

I removed the ESXi 3.5.0 host from vCenter making it a standalone then try to move it into the new vCenter, it fails at 90% with the following error,

"Unable to acquire licenses because the license source is unavailable: The license manager has not been started yet, the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or host name in the license file has been changed".

I am not able to remove the license from the standalone host nor add the standalone's host license to my new vCenter.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As Marcelo already mentioned, you need a license server for the "old" ESX 3.5 hosts. After installing the license server and adding the license files, add the link to the license server in the vCenter Server 4.1 license configuration. There is an input field where you have to enter the license server with the syntax "27000@yourserver.local" (where 27000 is the port and yourserver.local is the system on which you installed the license server)

Andé

0 Kudos
cherb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it worked

0 Kudos
LilRed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Some additional questions as it worked for you now ...

When you removed the host(s) from the old vCenter server and added the host(s) to the new vCenter server again, what about the virtual machines running on the host(s)? Do they have to be powered off / can stay on the host / can they keep running with no outage / ... ?

As you mentioned linked mode, is there an easier way to move the hosts if both vCenter servers in linked mode?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
cherb1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I moved the hosts from the old vCenter to the new vCenter the virtual machines stayed on and were accessible. I do not have Linked mode since my vSphere environment is standalone. Linked mode will only work in an Active Directory domain environment.

0 Kudos
LilRed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot (-:

0 Kudos