VMware Cloud Community
WestBound
Contributor
Contributor

Moving guests from one vCenter to another - running into issues

I have two vCenter servers and I am in the middle of consolidating down to one. I have roughly 20 VMs left to move.

Source vCenter is 6.5.0.30000

Target vCenter is 6.7.0.40000

They are on completely separate hardware in different datacenters, safe for one common LUN.

My process in the past has been to move the VM to the shared LUN, unregister from the source vCenter and reregister on the target vCenter. Once there, I power up the VM, fix any networking issues and storage vMotion the guest to the desired location.

I am running into issues after the re-register where I cannot move the VM to other storage (Failed waiting for data. Error 195887107) or am unable to power on the VM (NVRAM: open failed: incorrect version.)

VMWare support has been less than helpful.... to say the least.

Am I doing something that SHOULD work? I have had success using the Cross vCenter vMotion FLING and cloning the VM from a powered off state, but it would speed the process up immensely if the method I outlined above would work.

I appreciate any feedback that could help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Have you verified that there are no snapshots on that VM or any Raw Drive Mapped? Make sure none of the hardware on VM is using pass though to the physical host. You could download RVTools and run it against your vCenter and it will give you a lot of insight into your environment. It's free and my friend Smiley Happy

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos
WestBound
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I have confirmed the VMs do not have snapshots, passthrough devices or RDMs. I have used this migration method in the past when consolidating environments from 5.5 to 6.0 and also into 6.5.

Tier1 support is telling me I cannot register guests from a 6.5 implementation to my 6.7 environment without running them through converter "which will make the VM to get adapted to the destination Infrastructure and get those settings and work fine from there"

I have RVTools but am not sure what I should be looking for.

0 Kudos