VMware Cloud Community
TanyaVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving an ESX/ESXi host with vDS from one vCenter Server to another (1029498) - Question about migrating management port included in trunk?

I'm reading KB 1029498 VMware KB: Moving an ESX/ESXi host with vDS from one vCenter Server to another, and I'm confused on how to to perform step #2 if my management vmkernel virtual adapter is part of the vDS trunk.  If I remove the management vmkernel IP, I essentially lose access to the ESXi host.  I feel like I'm missing something really simple here, but can anyone suggest how to move an ESXi host where all the vmkernel (management and vMotion) ports are on a vDS to another host while maintaining uptime?

Thanks in advance,

Tanya

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You will have to migrate the vmkernel ports from the Distributed switch into a standard switch.first. To minimize downtime, I would split the current uplinks first moving one of the uplinks from you vDS to the vSS. then migrate both the management vmkernels and the VMs to the vSS. Once all are migrated over to the standard switch, you can move the remaining uplink in the vDS and add it to the vSS. You can then continue the steps in moving the host to a new vCenter once you don't have anything in the vDS.  All the links for procedures are also inside that same KB article.

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos