VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving Virtual Centre database

We have ESX servers V3.02 update 1 and virtual centre 2.02. Our virtual centre database is running on a remote SQL 2005 server. We know need to move the virtual centre database to a different SQL 2005 server. This server is in the same site and domain.

Are there any instructions on how to do this and anything we need to be aware of. Also when we do the move do we need downtime on the virtual centre. The SQL 2005 server we are moving to is a virtual server but I dont think that will make a difference.

Also the virtual centre is on a 32bit OS and SQL 2005 server. Is there any issues if we move to a 64bit OS and 64 bit sql server.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

I will suggest you setup the new virtual center server 1st before you move your DB. To move the DB from current SQL 2005 to another, is very simple to bring offline and detach the DB from the active SQL server, and copy the 2 files with DB and DBlog to the new location. Of course in the new SQL server, you require to re-attach the SQL DB back to the new sql server again. Once you had done this, you can continue to configure your new Virtual center. To complete the new virtual center will not take you more than 30 mins I believe.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can also use backup feature and backup it and then install VC 2.5 U2 from scratch and point to the new database server from a restore version. If you want steps by steps how to move SQL database read here.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos