VMware Cloud Community
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving VMs from Existing Server to New Server

We have one vCenter which is managing two vSphere 5 host with 2 physical CPUs each (Bought one licnese for 4 CPUs), now we bought two new maching which are ready with vSphere 5, but now i want to migrate all vm's from old server to new one's without downtime, when i am adding new hosts to vCenter it is not accepting.

How can i proceed ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... when i am adding new hosts to vCenter it is not accepting.

Can you please explain what's happening? Any error messages/warnings?

• Which vCenter Server version do you use (Foundation or Standard)?
    Foundation only supports up to 3 hosts.
  • Did you apply any licenses to the new hosts yet?
    Don't apply any license keys to the new host up front and run them in the 60 day eval mode. Once the old hosts have been removed from the vCenter you can use these licenses and apply them to the new hosts.
  • Do you run the old hosts in an EVC enabled cluster?
    Adding new hosts with newer CPUs may require to enable EVC to be able to run them in the same cluster with the old hosts, which is necessary to be able to vMotion the VMs.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... and did you already create the Host-A entries for the new ESXi hosts on your DNS server?

André

0 Kudos
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When i am adding the host, i am getting this error

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Any chance the hosts were installed with a wrong date/time and have been adjusted after the installation?

Since these are new hosts, try to reinstall ESXi with the correct date/time (UTC time) set in the BIOS and then try to add the hosts again.

André

0 Kudos