VMware Cloud Community
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VM from ESX 2.5 to ESX 3.5 with VC

I'm trying to move my VM's from my old ESX 2.5 Machine to my new ESX 3.5 machine using VI Client. I did a clone and was able to clone it, is there a way to just copy it?. Also how can I tell if its running a new VMFS 3 file system and not that old one?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, you are good to go!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you just add your ESX 2.5 HOSt into your VCMS server, shut down the VM's and cold cold clone onto the nex ESX server.

Also, to check the virtual hardware, right click on the VM and choose edit settings. In the top right hand corner of the window it will say ESX x.x virttual machine.

TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats what I did. But mine says Virtual Machine Version:3 and one says Virtual Machine Version:4.

But not ESX,

Edit: I just did a upgrade Virtual Hardware on the one that said version 3 and its not Version 4.

So does that mean its using VMFS3?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

with the VM powered off, can you right click on it and choose upgrade hardware, then check again?

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, you are good to go!

0 Kudos
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM I cloned over, the Network Connection says 10Mbs... How can I fix that?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try to upgrade the Vmware Tools.

0 Kudos
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already did the upgrade for the VMTools and upgrade hardware... but still says 10...

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What the link says (10Mib) and what it's capable of (line speed, probably 1Gib) are 2 different things. The reason that it says 10Mib is that it's using the old AMD virtual ethernet device (vlance), and not the newer ( vmxnet ) device type. VMware at some point decided it wasn't worth the pain of having people upgrade the device as it is sufficiently painful. Unless it really really bothers you to see 10Mib, I suggest you just stop and let it be.

0 Kudos
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Undersood.

Its weird how, I moved both VM's from my old ESX 2.5 server. And one hardware would get upgraded and the other one didnt...

0 Kudos