VMware Cloud Community
pajenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving SQL database from SQL 2000 server to a SQL 2005 server.

We have a SQL 2000 backend server going out of production and I need to move the VCenter 2.0.2 database to a different server, SQL 2005. Has anyone performed this? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One or two additional things to keep in mind: VC 2.0.x does not allow you to use the SQL Native ODBC driver, limiting you from using certain SQL 2005 clustering options. Check with your DBA whether this might be a problem.

Also, the default authentication mechanisms in SQL 2005 may be too restrictive. You will need a SQL-based login; Integrated Authentication is only supported if VC runs on the same server as SQL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I moved a our DB and had no problems.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've done this to my client last month and had no problems. Make sure you plan it out correctly and always BACKUP.

Look at this instruction for details instructions:

Hope this helps!

Azn2kew

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
pajenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the info.

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One or two additional things to keep in mind: VC 2.0.x does not allow you to use the SQL Native ODBC driver, limiting you from using certain SQL 2005 clustering options. Check with your DBA whether this might be a problem.

Also, the default authentication mechanisms in SQL 2005 may be too restrictive. You will need a SQL-based login; Integrated Authentication is only supported if VC runs on the same server as SQL.

0 Kudos
pajenson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have followed the steps in this guide, but unfortunately now VMware VirtualCenter Server service will not start. I have rebooted the server as well, but still will not start.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

look at the windows event logs... This application should report.

This can happen when the service can't communicate with the DB. Make sure you have the login ID and password right for both SQL and the service.

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Actually, the VC logs are kept in C:\Windows\Temp\vpx in VC 2.0.x. Be sure to grab the one with the latest timestamp - the latest one is not necessarily the one with the highest number.

Whatever error you're encountering should be towards the end of the log file.

0 Kudos