VMware Cloud Community
Fertig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move vm's to directories

Hello...

One of our admins accidentally selected "Move vm's to directories". When I looked in the log files... I see an entry saying "Relocate virtual machine disks" completed. So a few questions...

- What is this command used for? I am guessing that it is used for Storage vmotion but I could be wrong Smiley Happy

- Assuming that my guess is correct, We have several host clusters which each have their own datastore When the admin selected this command, it said that it was completed successfully. What actually happened given the only datastores available were a local datastore and the nfs datastore?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This "Move VMs to Directories is actually "relocate virtual machine files" This means your VM's files have probably been moved to a new datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This "Move VMs to Directories is actually "relocate virtual machine files" This means your VM's files have probably been moved to a new datastore.

0 Kudos
Fertig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the point that I am not really clear on. If the host had multiple datastores available I could understand this, but it only has one nfs datastore available. Where would it move the files to? I tried this on a test cluster and it returns a success log entry in less than 20 seconds. I can't see it actually moving the files that quickly {although that would be impressive Smiley Happy }

I am quite sure I am missing something simple here... just trying to figure out what that is Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are missing nothing... The relocate task will still kick off. But as you said since it's not moving anywhere the completion is so quick.

You are good to go!

Fertig
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks Smiley Happy I have not had the need to work with this yet...but it is obviously time for me to rtfm.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos