VMware Cloud Community
Mr_Ball
Contributor
Contributor

Move virtual machines between hosts

Hi,

I started using Vmware ESXi about a year ago and my enviroment is now 2 ESXi hosts:

ESXi01 - Vmware ESXi 3.5

ESXi02

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mr_Ball
Contributor
Contributor

Wooops, i clicked post message....:

Hi,

I started using Vmware ESXi about a year ago and my enviroment is now 2 ESXi hosts:

ESXi01 - Vmware ESXi 3.5

ESXi02 - Vmware ESXi 4.0

I want to be able to move virtual machines between the 2 hosts manually.

I tried to move the ISCSI target from ESXi01 to 02, but my virtual machines is not booting correctly (Just running in circles when the Windows logo apprears in boot). I also used the converter tool, but its very slow procedure.

How can i move the virtual machines between the hosts? Im not looking for an automatic solution, a manually solution will be great.

Regards,

Mr_Ball

0 Kudos
ArunNukala
Contributor
Contributor

Are the vm's on a shared storage ???

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

II guess there are plenty of ways to tackle this and it sounds like you attempted one way. If the host aren't sharing the storage you could shutdown all the VM's and grant the second host access to the LUNS. If the host are already sharing the storage and the assumption is that you aren't using vCenter you could unregister off one host and register on the second host.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos