VMware Cloud Community
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move vCenter to another server within vCenter Server 7 Essentials

Hi,

Is it possible to move (migrate) vCenter VM to another ESXi server (the same cluster) when I work,with vCenter Essentials version ?

I can move VM to another server but only when VM is stoped, but when vCenter VM is stopped I can't use vCenter.

jerzy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. use a VM Backup & Restore (if you have a VM image like Backup like Veeam or others)
  2. create a Replica with your VM Backup & Replication software
  3. The vCenter can clone it self! So make a copy by using the cloning funktion of vCenter. After finishing shutdown the running vCenter and fire up the new copy.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not. In order to live migrate VMs, you need at least Essentials Plus.
If the vCenter Server VM is stored on shared storage, you need to shutdown vCenter Server, unregister it from one host, and register it on another one.

André

0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André & thanks for this answer, but

Unfortunately it is not on shared storage.
Do you think I can stop it, recover with vCenter Converter, import to another ESXi and startfrom it?

jerzy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's the purpose for moving vCenter to another host? Is it a temporary move, or is it for good?

Rather than using the Converter, you may either export/import the vCenter VM as a OVF, or run a file based backup from the VAMI (Port 5480), and deploy a new vCenter Server Appliance using the Restore option.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. use a VM Backup & Restore (if you have a VM image like Backup like Veeam or others)
  2. create a Replica with your VM Backup & Replication software
  3. The vCenter can clone it self! So make a copy by using the cloning funktion of vCenter. After finishing shutdown the running vCenter and fire up the new copy.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the VC VM on a shared Datastore ; then just remove from inventory and add to the inventory on other ESXi server.

If no shared datastore; then power off VM; export VM as OVF from ESXi directly and import it to the other host. 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
jerzyk14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all responses, I try it this w-e.

jerzyk

0 Kudos