VMware Cloud Community
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move vCenter database

Hello,

I would like to move a vCenter database from a SQL Server 2008 R2 express to a SQL Server 2008.

I tried to backup the DB on the SQL 2008 R2 express, copy it to the other SQL server, create an empty database on the destination server and then restore the DB.  I had a issue doing this because the versions of both SQL server is not the same.

My question is is it possible to restore a DB from a SQL Server 2008 R2 express to a SQL Server 2008?  If yes, how can I do this?  If not, what are the other options for me?  Is is possible to create an empty database and connect the vCenter on it?

Regards,

11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you reviewed this document - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102860...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello weinstein5,

I think the issue might be about the SQL version.  See the error message bellow :

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The database was backed up on a server running version 10.50.2500. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version 10.00.5841. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

Is there any other way to restore the database from a SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to a SQL Server 2008?  Can I create a brand new database and connect the vCenter to it?

Regards,

0 Kudos
gabinun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I already tried this and there is no way to restore the database as there is a compatibility issue.  I want to move a database from SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to SQL Server 2008.  See the error message above for more details.

Is there any other way to restore the database from SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to SQL Server 2008?  Can I create a brand new database and connect the vCenter to it?

Regards,

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

"Can I create a brand new database and connect the vCenter to it?"

Not if you want to lose all the data in the tables there. Just curious, is this a huge setup with lots of rules/customizations? If not, it would be easier to build one from scratch.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't mind losing all the perforamance data.  There is not that much rules/customizations, but we use distributed vswitch.  Can it be an issue if a create a new database?

Regards,

0 Kudos
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Of course it is an issue. I do think your operation is : moving ESXi hosts from one vCenter to another.

I think that, if migrating from 2008 R2 Express to 2008 Standard is that important for you, you may have to follow these steps :

- Prepare a new vCenter Server, connecting to your SQL 2008 Standard. If your currently using SSO 5.5, install this new SSO as a member of an existing site

- Migrate from vDS to vSwitch all your VMs and hosts, disconnect them all from the current vCenter

- Connect all your hosts to your new vCenter

- Configure all as it was previously

I don't think you will be able to restore a DB configured on 2008 R2 (even express) to 2008 standard.

Also, if you don't want to install a new VM for a new vCenter, you may try to create your new SQL DB with the vCenter DB creation script that are in the installation package and reconfiguring your ODBC connector to connect to the new SQL DB. But, you will still have to move your hosts to vSwitch, reconnect your hosts to this "new" vCenter and reconfigure all.

Hope it helps.

Ludovic

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
mk3_cloud
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To move SQL Server databases used by vCenter Server to a new location:

1. Stop the VMware VirtualCenter Server, VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices and VMware Update Manager services.
  2. Migrate the VCDB and UMDB from the existing SQL instance to the new SQL instance running on the remote server.

3. If migrating a vCenter Server 4.x local database, you may also need to migrate the ADAM database.
  4. Note the credentials and server that vCenter Server uses to connect to the database. Update the DSN as necessary to the migrated database.

5. Recreate SQL Agent rollup jobs. Detaching, attaching, importing, and restoring a database to a newer version of SQL Server does not automatically recreate these jobs

6. Start the VMware VirtualCenter Server and VMware Update Manager services.

it may necessary to update the vcdb.properties file with the new SQL server if the SQL database name is referenced here. If this is not updated, the performance overview charts and the Storage Monitoring Service (SMS) may be affected after migrating the vCenter Server database

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@

Why don't you just post the link to VMware KB: Moving the vCenter Server SQL database instead of copying parts of it and even removing links to detailed information!?

André

N0bo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're trying to restore from 2008 R2 Express to 2008 , this should be the main issue here . What if you just first upgrade  from 2008 to 2008 R2

0 Kudos