VMware Cloud Community
HUCorp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move and Upgrade vCenter Server

I'm about to move our vCenter server and our database off of our ESX cluster. The current server is version 4.0.0 using a SQL 2008 32-bit server database (on separate server).

I've created two new 2008 64-bit servers, one for vCenter and one for SQL 2008 64-bit server. Ideally, I would like to move my database from the old SQL server to the new one, install vCenter 4.1 on it's new server and simply point it to the migrated database.

My question is, will this work as planned or can I not point vCenter 4.1 to a database that was used with vCenter 4.0 because the db structure is different? Basically do I have to install vCenter 4.0, point it to the migrated database and then upgrade it it to vCenter 4.1? Thanks.

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lanalyzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Dan,

The vCenter installer will recognize the old DB schema and will upgrade the DB accordingly.

You can 'fresh' install vCenter and point the installer to the migrated DB using an ODBC connector and the installer will run the DB upgrade scripts against the DB.

As it was recommended before, make sure that you have a full DB backup in case you need to revert the upgrade.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you have your current VC in VM then you can clone this VM..

upgrade the vcenter in new cloned VM.

you have the database 32bit system still you can use this on 64bit operating system by created 32bit DSN

i would suggest first check in test setup.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you have a couple viable options.  The first is, if you have a supported SQL DB, is to just build your new vCenter instance, and connect back to the existing DB.  You may want to copy the SSL directory out of the old vCenter Host OS, and copy it to the new vCenter Server prior to the install of 4.1.  If you decided to move to a 64bit 2008 SQL Server DB, then you can do a detach and move or backup and restore.  Once the new DB instance is on the 64bit Server, the instance will be upgraded by the SQL DB Server.

I think the most important thing is that you make a full backup of the DB instance prior to starting so you can revert if needed.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

lanalyzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Dan,

The vCenter installer will recognize the old DB schema and will upgrade the DB accordingly.

You can 'fresh' install vCenter and point the installer to the migrated DB using an ODBC connector and the installer will run the DB upgrade scripts against the DB.

As it was recommended before, make sure that you have a full DB backup in case you need to revert the upgrade.

Cheers!

0 Kudos