VMware Cloud Community
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move VM from one DataCenter to another

Is this possible if the hosts aren't connected to the same storage via VC, or am I stuck SCPing the VMDK and associated files from one host to another? I have 2 DC's connected via MPLS, and want to move a test vm from the test DC to the prod DC. When i try it in VIC, VC 2.01 (both servers are in ESX 3.01 clusters), I get an error stating that they are in different DCs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

grab the trial of esxReplicator from Vizioncore. Add the ESX hosts - then replicate from one site to another. When the replication is done, break the replication job and fire up the VM at the other site.

Works good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

I believe you are stuck. Actually, what about using VMware Converter. I have only used it a couple of times but could you not use it to move a vm from one host to another?

sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

BTW Because of this I have one Datacenter and folders below that to seperate things. This lets me keep one place for templates and golden images that I can send to any host as well as move any VM to any server

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

grab the trial of esxReplicator from Vizioncore. Add the ESX hosts - then replicate from one site to another. When the replication is done, break the replication job and fire up the VM at the other site.

Works good.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

>BTW Because of this I have one Datacenter and folders below that to

>seperate things. This lets me keep one place for templates and golden

>images that I can send to any host as well as move any VM to any server

Quite frankly I find ridicolous that VMware imposes limitations like this and then users are required to design a layout that is misleading (i.e. one datacenter with n folders to enumarate n different sites....).

Since moving vm's (or deploying templates etc) across datacenters is something customers might want/need to do (although I can understand ideally you wouldn't do that).... why on earth VMware wouldn't allow that ? \!?! \!??!

Just put a warning if you want ... that you are trying to do a very "big things" across two "objects" that ideally should not interact with each other ..... but let me do it !!

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will give Converter and Replicator a shot tomorrow night.

Thanks for the ideas.

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sometimes we will use VMconverter or Platespin to "move" a server between a datacenter. In 2.5, we have scripts that use SCP to move servers between datacenters.

In 3.0, sometimes we will disconnect[/i] a host from a datacenter, and temporarily add it to the datacenter we want to move the server into. Be careful not to add it to a cluster but at the datacenter level. Then you can cold migrate it to a host in the new datacenter. When you are done remove[/i] it from the new datacenter, wait a few minutes for the VC database to update, then reconnnect[/i] to the original datacenter/cluster.

Not the prettiest, but it works for migrating and moving servers. If you are N+1 , you can go into maintenance mode with the host you are moving around if you are worried about the other guests.

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Will this work if they aren't connected to the same storage?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, both options will work in an environment where there is no shared storage.

WSimons
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is also possible to just disconnect the host from one datacenter, connect the same host to another datacenter and then vmotion the VM to another host in that datacenter.

grtz

Wim

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

cold migrate & template across datacenters has been a long time feature request, so we'll see if they've listened to customers when the 2.5/3.5 feature list is explained in detail.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos