VMware Cloud Community
eziemann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move DRS cluster to new VC host

I searched this thread for 'move cluster' and 'move drs cluster' but that returned way too many non-relevant results.

Due to an AD domain migration, we need to move to a new VC host (and I have been putting this off too long). I got through the easy ESX host moves but am left with 4 DRS clusters of 3-4 hosts per cluster.

Has anyone gone through a similar process?

As of now, I am planning on shutting all VMs down in an individual cluster, disconnecting the hosts, creating the new cluster and then adding the hosts to the new VC server. Then repeating for the next cluster.

Will this work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you currently have 2 Virtual Center Servers running? If so, just create the cluster on the new VC Server, right click and choose add host. A message will pop up saying it's being managed by another VC do you want to continue, choose yes. The host will then be added into the VC Server and cluster, with no dowtime to the VM's.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you currently have 2 Virtual Center Servers running? If so, just create the cluster on the new VC Server, right click and choose add host. A message will pop up saying it's being managed by another VC do you want to continue, choose yes. The host will then be added into the VC Server and cluster, with no dowtime to the VM's.

0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You don't need to power off the VMs, just disconnect the host, remove host, import host into new VC/cluster.

Rinse, repeat until finished.

I've been doing this all morning.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

isn't that what I just said? No need to even disconnect, remove host or anything else, just add host from the new enviornment, it will automatically get pulled out of the old

0 Kudos
eziemann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will get those suggestions a shot. I am just worried about what will happen to VMs when the cluster is being taken down and moved.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

nothing will happen to the cluster, when you disconnect a HOST server within the cluster, it will stop being monitored by HA and DRS. Once you start connecting the HOSTS to the new cluster, you can set up HA and DRS again.... no problems!!

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm curious as to why you would need to move VC to a new host for a domain migration at all. Is the real reason political, or is there a technical reason? It should be a simple matter of removing the host from the domain and re-adding it?

Keep in mind that if you move hosts to a new VC server "normally", you will lose all alarms, permissions, resource groups, folder structures, historical performance data, template registrations and customisation specifications. These are all stored in the VC database.

If you really must move to a new host but can keep the original database (even if it's on a new database server), you will be able to make the transition far less traumatically by basically just doing a DR excercise with your VC server.

The only thing that's usually a problem with moving VC from one host to another, is the VC server's IP address. If you can keep it the same, you need only re-install VC and reconnect the database. If the IP address changes, you will need to edit vpxd.cfg on the ESX hosts involved (should be in /etc/vmware/vpx).

0 Kudos
eziemann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We had to move to a new domain (we were acquired) so in the process I used the opportunity to start fresh on VC. Plus I am new to this job so setting up all the clusters will help dealing with them in the future.

0 Kudos