VMware Cloud Community
smanziano
Contributor
Contributor

Move DB for Virtual Center 2.x to new SQL server

Virtual Center 2.x is running on a Windows 2003 server. Server is also running SQL 2005, so the Virtual Center DB is located local. I want to move the Database off this server and put it on a new SQL server. So in the end, Virtual Center will be running on 1 server and the Database is on another Server.

I had the database copied to the new server this morning. I went in and updated the ODBC/DSN configuration to point to the new SQL server. It tested out and worked fine. But when I try to restart my Virtual Center services I am getting an error , log shows. "[ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user..." I have the Service started to run with a Domain Acct and that Domain Acct does have permissions to the DB.

any ideas ? thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TCronin
Expert
Expert

What did you use to login to the original database? I've always used SQL authentication, not Windows.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
smanziano
Contributor
Contributor

Domain acct

0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See KB article 6565318: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/dynamickc.do?cmd=show&forward=nonthreadedKC&docType=kc&externalId=6...

"Important: This configuration requires the VirtualCenter Server database login to be the owner of the database. A login with the db_owner role is not sufficient."

0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dupe msg. disregard. website acting funky this morning.

Message was edited by: jesse.gardner

0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dupe msg. disregard. website acting funky this morning.

Message was edited by: jesse.gardner

0 Kudos