VMware Cloud Community
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Monitor Local RAID for Failure?

I have three HP DL380 G6's that I am running ESX 4.0 Update 1 on, What I need to know is there away to monitor the Local RAID controller?

What I need to happen is if one of the local Disks (In RAID1) Fails I need DRS or Vmontion to move the Guest to another Host.

All of the Guests files are on a shared FC SAN.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the HP SIM agents for ESX. Download is available at HP. You need a SIM server as the monitoring front end, of course.

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-91...

AWo

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Great, One more question how do I DL it onto the Host it's self? wget?

Or Can you point me to a doc that has this info?

0 Kudos
wardb0071
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

putty into the esx server type the folling replacing the managemnt name with the latest agents avail online

esxcfg-firewall --AllowOutgoing

ftp://ip address of your ftp server

bin

hash

mget *.tgz

exit

tar -zxvf hpmgmt-8.2.0-vmware3x.tgz

cd hpmgmt/820

./PreInstall_Setup.sh

./installvm820.sh --install

reboot done

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Ok it's installed and running, But i do not see anything in vCenter nor DRS am I missing something?

0 Kudos
wardb0071
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

goto https://youresxserverip:2381/

login with root and password

you will see all HP info there.

for alerting install HP Insight manager on a seperate box (free) and add your esx servers for monitoring.

Cheers,

Brian

0 Kudos
wardb0071
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

looking at your original post, you won't be able to have DRS or vmotion move the guests to another host if 1 drive fails unless you write some scripts to move them when you insight manager recieves a SNMP error.

DRS will only kick in if the ESX is no longer avail, then the failed machines will power up on the remaining ESX servers.

if you want a more robust solution depending on the version of vsphere you purchased it has has VMware Fault Tolerance ( new feature in vSphere)

Eliminate Downtime Due to Hardware Failures

VMware Fault Tolerance is leading edge technology that provides continuous availability for applications in the event of server failures, by creating a live shadow instance of a virtual machine that is in virtual lockstep with the primary instance. By allowing instantaneous failover between the two instances in the event of hardware failure, VMware Fault Tolerance eliminates even the smallest of data loss or disruption.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fault-tolerance/

Cheers,

Brian

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Ok great I can see it, But I guess there is no way to get DRS or Vmontion to see if the RAID 1 has a failed drive and then move any guests to another Host.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

We have E+ so we are using FT right now in testing.

Thanks for all your help!!!

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I found this when I did a google search http://geekswithblogs.net/WallabyFan/archive/2006/03/31/73921.aspx

Anyone know where i can get this script it sounds like what i need.?!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe some things need clarification:

DRS is for automatic load balancing - it doesn't help if a volume or host fails.

vMotion is for moving guests while the involved hosts are online, that doesn't help in case o a failure, as well.

The monitoring is done by the HP agents and they report to a HP SIM server. You need one.

If you want to have a guest restarted when a host or fails you need HA, but that only works for guests on shared storage. This is cluster-like: the guest will go down due to the failure and it is restarted on another host.

If you want that the guest survives a failure you need F(ault) T(olerance), again with shared storage.

When a volume fails and you do not have a copy of the guest nothing helps. Then you need to restore the guest.

AWo

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

No disrespect but I know what you are talking about ( boy that sounds bad sorry), and I have it up and running at this time (DRS, HA, FT and VMo).

I was asked by my Boss if this could be done, I do want to thank you for your help!!!

0 Kudos