VMware Cloud Community
VMRulez
Contributor
Contributor

Missing data in performance graphs

I've just been reveiwing some performance graphs and have realised a lot of holes - I have several ESX Servers with a VC2.5 on a SQL database. Data is missing for 10minutes intervals 1 or 2 hours. In some cases the gaps are 1 or two hours without any data.

I haven't noticed any problems with the real time graphs. I've attached a graph for one of the VMz for the last day's statistics

Any thoughts will be appreciatd

0 Kudos
32 Replies
AndyN
Contributor
Contributor

The problem apprears to have gone away with VC 2.5 Update 3. But boy do I even have problems running the U3 install and hosing my SQL DB.....but that's another thread.

0 Kudos
jimbo667
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that it is still present in VC 2.5 U3 as we have two environments at that level, and another at VC 2.5 U2, that still have the hourly 10min gaps in the stats. Would love to fix the problem but I dont seem to be getting anywhere.

0 Kudos
nnnnnnj
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed VC2.5U3 for a customer before Christmas and noticed this morning the same behaviour - 10 minute gaps, only in the Past Day sampling, and in this case it's only in VM data not host.

Has anyone had a decent answer to this yet?

Tony Lamont

0 Kudos
wallakyl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have several clients with the same issue. However not all of my clients are experiencing it. I have seen it in VC 2.5 (no update) and VC 2.5 U3, so it doesn't seem to matter what update they are on. I haven't been able to find out why some experience it and some don't. Support hasn't been very helpful thus far in admitting the bug. If anyone gets anywhere with support, please let me know.

0 Kudos
jimbo667
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to VMware the other day and got "Known issue scheduled for update 4". Can't wait for another flawless upgrade :smileylaugh: .

0 Kudos
VMRulez
Contributor
Contributor

The interesting this is VMware has known about this for quite a while and two major updates, 2 and 3, have passed without this being addressed.

Oh well.

0 Kudos
macltrc
Contributor
Contributor

I had a service request open with VMware which is now closed. I spoke to a technician yesterday (Jan 21, 2009) and he indicated that this is a known bug. Unfortunately, the details are "confidential" and the bug report is only available internally to VMware. He also indicated that there is no public knowledge base article that customers could reference or track.

Apparently the bug is expected to be fixed in Update 4, or Patch 11. Update 4 currently has an expected GA date of March 6, 2009 and Patch 11 currently has no public ETA according to the technician. As described by some previous posters in this thread, the specific bug in question supposedly only affects the "Past Day" performance graph views (which is what I am experiencing).

I have no idea why this is considered "confidential" unless it's embarrassing to VMware (which arguably, it should be since it has persisted for so long). There aren't really any security implications as far as I'm aware or would expect from such an issue. So VMware could probably be a little bit more transparent about this bug.

0 Kudos
redkat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AndyN!

I have the same issue, but as i understand there are two

types of problem with gaps.

First:

Every hour 5 minuts

Second:

Random gaps for 10 minuts.

Did you solve this problem? And in Update 4 as I read the problem of gaps will be solved, but what type of gaps Smiley Happy first or second, do you now?

0 Kudos
AndyN
Contributor
Contributor

I have not seen the "gaps" since 2.5 U3. I installed 2.5 Update 4 (build 147633) a week ago in our lab and I do not see any gaps. From my knothole, it looks like they might have fixed it.

0 Kudos
jimbo667
Contributor
Contributor

I am still seeing the random 10 minute gaps in the performance graphs in VC2.5u4 and correlating spikes to zero in the new performance overview graphs Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
redkat
Contributor
Contributor

HI! I wrote earlier that there are two types of problem with "gaps"

First in past day graph.This is the problem of clearn procedure (procedure wrote by vmware)in ms-sql(msde)

I fix it by reinstalling msde.

Another problem with "gaps" - is random 10 min gaps. About this problem i wrote to vmware tech support and

they answer me that this is well known problem. They will fix it in ESX 3.5 U4. Will be waiting U4 together Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Vereschagin Sergey.

0 Kudos
jimbo667
Contributor
Contributor

LOL I thought the fix was meant to be in VC 2.5u4.

But you would have thought that they would have at least fixed them to show off there new Performance Overview graphs.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Please noted that you may lost your history performance data if you remove any ESX host from vCenter.

Regards,

Jason

Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos