VMware Cloud Community
spotz300tt
Contributor
Contributor

Missing data from VC performance data

Every 6 hrs (exactly) and every 7 hrs (exactly) I get about 10 minutes of performance data missing from my vm hosts. It doesn't appear to be effecting my production servers, but it is highly annoying. I hate showing my management graphs w/ large holes in them... Anyone had anything similar? I am running ESX 3.01 w/ VC 2.01 patch 2 w/ a full blow MS SQL installation running on my VC server. I have:

Completely upgraded my VC server

Re-added the hosts to the VC server

Rebooted everything

Thoughts?

thanks,

Chris.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GavinJ
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it's that time specific it sounds like something that could be traced back. Are there any regular scheduled SQL tasks being performed, are there any networking tasks being performed on the COS VLAN, are there any local tasks being run on the VC or ESX servers, does the time coincide with some other running task in the environment?

It sounds a bit tedious but have you checked through the logs for each dependant component, eg: SQL, VC, ESX, Network? Are you running default or customised perfomance monitors?

Gavin

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Also make sure your ESX Servers and VC Server are in time sync. It could be that during the time interval the clocks are being updated. I have seen some very odd behavior when things get out of time sync.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
spotz300tt
Contributor
Contributor

The time is/was about 1 minute out of sync. I have setup NTP now, but that seem to solve the issue. There is no SQL jobs or anything happening, so that is odd.

0 Kudos
spotz300tt
Contributor
Contributor

Default config on the reports.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert

Does your vc run on top of a vm?

Maybe the timing problems come from here...

Regards

Spex

0 Kudos
spotz300tt
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, in fact it was at one point and I changed it to a physical box thinking the same thing.

BTW, it happens every 8 hrs, not 6.

0 Kudos
Stephan_Graller
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue here an at least 5 installations at different customers on mine. It seems to make no difference if VC is running in a VM or on a physical Server, if VCDB is MSDE or MSSQL, if time is synced or not - always the same.

Anyway it seems to be an issue in the chart display. It shows as peaks that drop down to zero. But if i zoom in the relevant time window, it sometimes show missing values but if a change the time window again, the chart is there.

It is not really affecting the VM but really annoying to explain the customer.

I am thinking about opening a case with VMWare

0 Kudos