vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 12, 2007 04:58 AM

Every 6 hrs (exactly) and every 7 hrs (exactly) I get about 10 minutes of performance data missing from my vm hosts. It doesn't appear to be effecting my production servers, but it is highly annoying. I hate showing my management graphs w/ large holes in them... Anyone had anything similar? I am running ESX 3.01 w/ VC 2.01 patch 2 w/ a full blow MS SQL installation running on my VC server. I have:

Completely upgraded my VC server

Re-added the hosts to the VC server

Rebooted everything

Thoughts?

thanks,

Chris.

• 2.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 12, 2007 01:53 PM

If it's that time specific it sounds like something that could be traced back. Are there any regular scheduled SQL tasks being performed, are there any networking tasks being performed on the COS VLAN, are there any local tasks being run on the VC or ESX servers, does the time coincide with some other running task in the environment?

It sounds a bit tedious but have you checked through the logs for each dependant component, eg: SQL, VC, ESX, Network? Are you running default or customised perfomance monitors?

Gavin

• 3.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 12, 2007 02:53 PM

Hello,

Also make sure your ESX Servers and VC Server are in time sync. It could be that during the time interval the clocks are being updated. I have seen some very odd behavior when things get out of time sync.

Best regards,

Edward

• 4.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 12, 2007 10:05 PM

The time is/was about 1 minute out of sync. I have setup NTP now, but that seem to solve the issue. There is no SQL jobs or anything happening, so that is odd.

• 5.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 12, 2007 10:36 PM

Default config on the reports.

• 6.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 13, 2007 05:46 AM

Does your vc run on top of a vm?

Maybe the timing problems come from here...

Regards

Spex

• 7.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Jul 16, 2007 09:16 PM

Nope, in fact it was at one point and I changed it to a physical box thinking the same thing.

BTW, it happens every 8 hrs, not 6.

• 8.  RE: Missing data from VC performance data

Posted Sep 19, 2007 10:41 AM

I have the same issue here an at least 5 installations at different customers on mine. It seems to make no difference if VC is running in a VM or on a physical Server, if VCDB is MSDE or MSSQL, if time is synced or not - always the same.

Anyway it seems to be an issue in the chart display. It shows as peaks that drop down to zero. But if i zoom in the relevant time window, it sometimes show missing values but if a change the time window again, the chart is there.

It is not really affecting the VM but really annoying to explain the customer.

I am thinking about opening a case with VMWare