VMware Cloud Community
wd300
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration requires a power down???

On one of my ESX hosts if I right click on a vm and select migrate, it tells me that the machine is required to be shut down for this to continue (this happens on EVERY vm on the ESX host). Why would this be? I am running ESX 4.0 and have licensing for vMotion, DRS, HA, etc...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is just a warning message, meaning if you want to change both host and datastore at the same time, the guest must be powered down.  However, if you simply want to Change Host, proceed.  If you simply want to change datastore, proceed.  If you want to do both, do one of the other first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the virtual machine located on shared storage? If it is not and it is on local storage then you will need to power off the VM before you can migrate it also the network configuration needs to be the same on the destination host - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is just a warning message, meaning if you want to change both host and datastore at the same time, the guest must be powered down.  However, if you simply want to Change Host, proceed.  If you simply want to change datastore, proceed.  If you want to do both, do one of the other first.

0 Kudos