VMware Cloud Community
joojoobee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Migration protocol error 0xbad003e

I have not seen this message before and would like to know what it is telling me.

Sep 27 21:53:46 guad105 vmkernel: 0:10:17:48.619 cpu5:3962)WARNING: Migrate: 1148: 4292912269: Failed: Migration protocol error (0xbad003e) @0x8c2968

Sep 27 21:53:56 guad105 vmkernel: 0:10:17:58.692 cpu6:3944)WARNING: Migrate: 6556: No migration found for vmm leader 3944.

I have not seen any ill effects in my VM's. I am more interested in the first line since it has the words error and failed.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
kitcolbert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The "migration protocol error" usually means something happened to the connection or the other machine during the VMotion.

0 Kudos
joojoobee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I agree that something happened during vmotion. Most error codes point to specific problems to look for. I imagine that is the case here since someone had the foresight to use the word "bad" in the error code.

Some routine triggered the event. This error code never showed up in any of my logs until I started using 64bit VMs. More to the point, I think I know which GOS and program running in the VM caused the problem. (Windows 2003 EE R2 x64 running IOzone)

I do not think the certification tool for 64bit GOS would have produced this error since the VMs are not transferred from server to server during the server certification uptime test.

0 Kudos
kitcolbert
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you file an SR and give me the SR number, I can take a look at the logs. I sort of doubt it has anything to do with 64-bit VMs in particular, but I'd have to have the logs to know for sure.

0 Kudos
joojoobee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I will upload the logfiles and send you a private message with the details.

0 Kudos
ramaks
Contributor
Contributor

Is there are any updates on this error. We are also receiving the same error when do the migration of the server from ESX server to the other ESX Server. with the same hexadecimal number. If there are any updates please let me know.

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also seeing this error. Although, along with the 0xbad0003e message, I also get an 'End of File' error. I have an SR open. If I get it resolved, I'll keep this thread updated.

Mayur

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just got the error today too.

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,

I did have a case open with VMware, but I couldn't wait for them to try to solve it. I ended up doing cold migrations so that I could keep my project moving.

If anyone finds out what might be causing this, please keep this thread updated.

Mayur

0 Kudos
ncarde
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are seeing this as well with live 64-bit W2K3 Standard VMotions -- strange thing is that the VM still lands on the Target host (eventually) but is reported in Virtual Center as having failed...

0 Kudos
filopinojack
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same error happening in our environment. We figured out that there was an IP conflict for the VMKernel IP. Resolved the conflict and VMotion was successful again.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Dimit
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem, and I cant find the solution, someone has the solution for the SR ?

Tks a lot.

0 Kudos
seadl
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problem, with a bit of experimenting did resolve my problem.

I changed the IP address/VMOtion on the host I was getting the Message and that have fixed the protocol error, migrations are succesfull now.Reverted to the old IP after 10 mins all good now...hope this helps gentlemen...

0 Kudos
brianb1
Contributor
Contributor

Definately a IP address conflict issue..

Make sure the port is working, Make sure that if you are Trunking the port is correct, make sure you do not have an IP conflict.

0 Kudos
eislas
Contributor
Contributor

You need to disable and then re-enable vmotion on each esx. Or reboot all your esx.

You can check the explanation here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1010672...

0 Kudos
Fisayo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Can you please help.

I am having same issues, this just happening after moving 15 host from VI to vCentre 4.0 but affecting one particular Host. I have done the suggested task but still having same issues thogh some machines were able to migrate but very few around 1/2 the rest just timed out and or give the error "A general system erro occurred: Migrationfailed while copying data, Migration protocol error" the full details shows protocol error 0xbad003e

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos