VMware Cloud Community
RivaCom
Contributor
Contributor

Migration of a File Server to VM(Lun Questions)

Getting ready to move a couple servers over to VM, one of them being our primary File storage. We have a lun chopped up for the system already. I have noted the lun numbers for each of the 2 drives the current File Server has (two data luns). However the concern I am having is with the storagegroups in navisphere. The SAN is a EMC CX 4-120, and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to add the luns from the Fileserver to the Virtual File server once converted. Trying to not risk any of our data as we have Couple Terabytes of data at risk.

A co-worker suggested that we just trespass the luns to our ESX Storage group, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has gone through this, and maybe can give some advise.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why not just configure the data lunes as raw disk to the new VM and you will not have to move the data.

0 Kudos
RivaCom
Contributor
Contributor

The problem being, I can either do Raw Mapped Lun or Raw disk. That isn't really the big problem. The problem resides on the Actually 2 Data Luns that are currently active. Since if I move the storage group(In Navisphere), from my physical server storage group, to the ESX storage group, I believe this will risk the loss or actually erase the data.

I can add it in VMWare either way, I'm just curious how other people migrated the storage groups from their physical server storage group(in EMC Navisphere) to their Virtual or ESX storage group without losing the data.

Ideally It would be nice if we could just add a the ESX Hosts to the File Server storage group, or the other way around, which would leave the data alone and allow me to add it as a raw mapped lun.

0 Kudos
RivaCom
Contributor
Contributor

Still looking for any advise if anyone has got it.

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem being, I can either do Raw Mapped Lun or Raw disk. That isn't really the big problem. The problem resides on the Actually 2 Data Luns that are currently active. Since if I move the storage group(In Navisphere), from my physical server storage group, to the ESX storage group, I believe this will risk the loss or actually erase the data.

I can add it in VMWare either way, I'm just curious how other people migrated the storage groups from their physical server storage group(in EMC Navisphere) to their Virtual or ESX storage group without losing the data.

You will not suffer from data loss by simply moving the LUN from one Storage Group to another. Your physical file server should be offline when you do this! I have performed this multiple times for database servers without incident then just map as an RDM. Do not use the Add Storage Wizard in vCenter and format the LUN!

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos