VMware Cloud Community
KeyNetTech
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from vCenter 4.0 to vCenter 4.1

I am performing a migration of vCenter 4.0 to vCenter 4.1 to a new host server. The vCenter database is on a remote SQL server. I followed the migration document published by VMware. The migration was a success and I am working from the new vCenter Server. The only two things I notice is using the vCenter client, on the tree view on the left hand side, the top most object above the data center is the name of the previous vCenter server. I believe this is there because of the migration scripts provided by VMware. Is it safe to do a r-click and rename?

Also, when I look at the licensing section I see the name of the old vCenter server. All servers have licenses attached and are working. Is there a way to refresh this to reflect the new vCenter server?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You'll have to go into your SQL DB and change the instance names to the correct server IP address and name. If you don't it'll cause you grief in the near future.

KeyNetTech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Did I miss something in the VMware migration guide? Is there a KB article on this?

0 Kudos
KeyNetTech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. I did some additional digging and found a place in vCenter under Administration | vCenter Server Settings where I could change the name. I believe this will also allow Update Manager to run when I do get it installed. Thanks!

0 Kudos