VMware Cloud Community
abaum
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Migration failing

All, I am trying to migrate a very large guest to a different LUN. The migration makes it to 99% and then fails with a msg that reads "A general system error occured: internal error". Task details really dont say much other than typical stuff such as "Host is connected", "Being relocated from serverA to serverA" (yes, I am keeping it on the same sever, just a different LUN), and then ends with a "Failed to relocate virtual machine". I've checked to see if there is sufficient diskspace and that checks out OK.

I see a couple of items when clicking on the Host in event details and I see some wierd stuff about MAC address conflicts. Apparently the guest conflicts with itself. Same goes for the BIOS ID.

Any ideas?

adam

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ricli
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem except I am moving the virtual machine from local storage to a LUN. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Just how "very large" is the guest?

You might want to take a look at the VMFS block size on the source and destination LUNs.

For example, if the VM you are trying to migrate has a .vmdk file of 300GB, and the destination LUN VMFS volume was formatted with a block size of 1MB, the migration will fail as a VMFS volume with a 1 MB block size can only have a maximum files size of 256GB, thus the 300GB vmdk file cannot be stored on said VMFS volume.

It could be a lot of different things, but I'd take a look at the VMFS block size for starters:

From the VI client (connected to either the ESX host or a VC), click on the ESX host, click on the "Summary" tab, and then under "Datastore", right-click on the Datastore and select "Properties".

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
ricli
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried migrating the same virtual machine for a second time, and it worked. Nothing has changed since the last time.

The largest partition on that server was 50GB and the block size is set to 2MB. So that should be fine. Since then, I have migrated another virtual machine without problems. Not sure what cause the error in the first place.

0 Kudos