VMware Cloud Community
WALT75020111014
Contributor
Contributor

Migration Speed between local Storage & Bonded iscsi Storage

Hi,

I am migrating machines from a 4 nic bonded iscsi san and local storage on the same host. It should be pretty quick. The migration speed is very ... very slow. It's is taking about 25 minutes to migrate a 7gb VM to local storage.

How does migration work? I have a physical Vcenter Server machine. Migration doesn't go through the VCENTER Server, does it?

It is done locally on the host right?

Is there a Virtual Appliance that will test storage speed transfers? If there isn't ... someone should make one... I'd buy it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

What do youi mean by migrate, svmotion or moving the powered off VM? It does not go through the vCenter. However, the local storage is propably not the fastes so that might be the cause.

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
WALT75020111014
Contributor
Contributor

I can give you a little more detail on the why I am doing this.

I have to re-format the iscsi store to increase the block size. The VM's are all shut down. The current block size limits a virtual disk size to 250gb. I would like to make bigger disks. The only way to do it is to format the store. << Not something that I wanted to to but ... that's life.

So Migrate the datastore to the local host is #1. Format the iscsi store #2. Move back the VM's #3.

But I was surprised at how slow it is.

The Host is running an LSI 9260i SAS controller with a RAID 5. It boots fast into ESXi. But I never speed tested the local drives.

0 Kudos