VMware Cloud Community
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating vCenter database from local instance to remote server

Hi,

My vCenter database is installed on the local server with the vCenter server.  On installation no DSN was created because the database being local.  Now I need to create a dedicated server to host the database but cannot find where in the current installation I would make the change to point vCenter to the new location.

I have read these KBs

kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893     -  Moving the vCenter Server SQL database
kb.vmware.com/kb/5850444     - Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine
kb.vmware.com/kb/1003928     - Troubleshooting the database data source used by VirtualCenter Server

Problem is that (1) there is not DSN, (2) the registry key is not there either and (3) I am unable to find what to modify in the vpxd.conf file

I am able to "migrate the database" and "can create a new dsn to point to the new location"

So, the question is where do I find the current database\dsn configuration.

Hopefully that is clear

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VMGenie,

The reason it wont show u DSN is because ur VC machine might be 64 bit and the vCenter is using 32 bit DSN settings.

Check in the folder C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe for this exe... it should show u the DSN settings.

Kindly consider clicking on correct or helpful if this information is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Install MS SQL Server management studio software to view and take backup of ur existing database ...

U dont have to bother about DSN connections as it will change for the new server. 

NOTE : Shut down existing VC service before this steps.

1. Take the Backup of ur existing database.

2. Install MS SQL server on ur new server.

3. Use the 3rd Party DB migration Utilities to migrate the DB to newly created DB.

4. Create DSN connections for ur new DB.

5. Install VC application in ur new server, however choose the option of using existing database.

6. DO NOT re-initialize DB while installation.

Once the installation is done verify the connectivity.

0 Kudos
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Basheer,

I'm not moving\migrating the vCenter server...only it's database.  Hence the problem is that I need to find where the configuration is on the current server.

Thanks for the reply though

0 Kudos
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VMGenie,

1. Please elaborate for ur requirements ... If u are looking for the DSN for ur VC database... It will not be present in administrator tools if ur vc is 64bit machine.

2. Are u looking for a setup where u want ...VC app on one server and DB on the other one Server ???

0 Kudos
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why is it not present?

My vCenter is working fine... so somehow\somewhere it know where the DB is located and that is what I need to find.

Right now my only option is to uninstall and reinstall to the new DSN pointing to the external database server.

0 Kudos
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VMGenie,

The reason it wont show u DSN is because ur VC machine might be 64 bit and the vCenter is using 32 bit DSN settings.

Check in the folder C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe for this exe... it should show u the DSN settings.

0 Kudos
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

100% correct... thanks man.  That is the exact thing I was looking for.

0 Kudos
VMGenie02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just as feedback, the migration was successful!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and inputs.

0 Kudos