VMware Cloud Community
BMWagner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating a virtual machine to another host

Hey all, I have 3 vm's on one host and 1 on another. I have tried to move one of the vm's to the host with a single vm but everytime I migrate it the machine moves back to the host it was on. Any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have any DRS rules setup to separate any VM's?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have any DRS rules setup to separate any VM's?

0 Kudos
BMWagner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I don't. I had all 3 servers on host A. Then I moved 2 of them to host b. the 3rd one moved on its own. I tried moving one back and it keeps moving back.

0 Kudos
BMWagner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just looked at my DRS rules. And yes I do. Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the single VM on the one host more actively using CPU and Memory than the other 3 VMs. The DRS load balancing will be based on resource utilization and one large VM may more heavily utilize CPU or RAM than the other 3 VMs together causing DRS to want to keep that 1 VM on it's own.

Methods to keep DRS from moving the VM:

1. In 'DRS-Automation Level Settings' change from Fully automated to Partially automated (or Manual)

2. In 'DRS-Automation Level Settings' change Migration Threshold to a more Conservative setting

3. In 'DSR - Rules' define a rule to keep certain VMs on separate hosts as mentioned in previous post

4. In 'DRS-Virtual Machine Options' change specific VMs to Partially automated (or Manual)

The first solution to try is probably setting the Migration Threshold. Other than that the specific requirements of your environment will determine what the best solution for it is. Reference the Admin Guides to get a more complete description of these DRS settings -

The documentation Road Map provides info of where DRS is covered in the documentation -