VMware Cloud Community
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating Vcenter DB from SQL 2005 Express to SQL 2008

Hi,
  I am going to migrate the physical vcenter server to a VM  so i will installing  a new VM with OS 2008R2  and SQL2008.But i need the plan to migrate
vcenter DB from SQL 2005 to SQL2008.Also  VMware recommends

Note: 1)VMware recommends keeping IP address and host name information the same to make migration easier.

2)Migrate software other than vCenter Server, Update Manager, or VMware       Orchestrator. For example, Site Recovery Manager is not migrated.

3)Move the VMware Orchestrator database. You must do this manually.

Can  we give vcenter server new Name and IP  and if yes then what will  problem occur after post migrations.

THANKS

vmguy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do need to keep same server name and IP adddress ? If  we are going to  give diffrent vcenter server name and IP then how will be post migration  step

If you can keep the same hostname and IP, that would make it so much easier.  With that said, if you have to change the hostname and IP of vCenter you may run into issues where all your hosts show up as disconnected. Usually you can right click and choose "connect", you will be prompted for credentials for your ESXi Hosts, but after that they should remain connected.

Also, just in case I posted another KB above.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure if there is a question in here, but I'll try and answer.  If you are looking to move your DB instances, you can try to using the below article

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/5850444

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can  we give vcenter server new Name and IP  and if yes then what will  problem occur after post migrations.

ah... if you are using an existing DB, but changing the hostname and IP address of vCenter

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001493

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Thanks for your reponse.I apologise for brief discussion.Actually  i have to migrate the physical server (vcenter server 4.1) to a New VM so currently

the physical server havingWindows 2003 64-bit(vecenter 4.1) have SQL 2005 Express and with respect to future growth  and performance i thought of installing Windows 2008R2 Ent  and migrating vcenter DB to 2008 SQL.Please let me know if you need any other info.AS Vmware recommend

Note: 1)VMware recommends keeping IP address and host name information the same to make migration easier.

2)Migrate software other than vCenter Server, Update Manager, or VMware       Orchestrator. For example, Site Recovery Manager is not migrated.

3)Move the VMware Orchestrator database. You must do this manually.

Do need to keep same server name and IP adddress ? If  we are going to give diffrent vcenter server name and IP then how will be post migration step

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to copy the certifications for each of the ESX hosts to the new vCenter otherwise they will need to be "reconnected".

Also you can't upgrade Express to SQL 2008, you have to take down the SQL Express, copy the MDB file to a SQL 2008 instance, and attach it to SQL 2008.  That will become your new DB instance.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do need to keep same server name and IP adddress ? If  we are going to  give diffrent vcenter server name and IP then how will be post migration  step

If you can keep the same hostname and IP, that would make it so much easier.  With that said, if you have to change the hostname and IP of vCenter you may run into issues where all your hosts show up as disconnected. Usually you can right click and choose "connect", you will be prompted for credentials for your ESXi Hosts, but after that they should remain connected.

Also, just in case I posted another KB above.

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

I missedout one thing as of now I have 40  host which includes 5 ESXi4.1 in seperate cluster and some are ESX 3.5 update 5 and 4.0

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you'll also need to leave your VI3 license server intact or build a standalone license server.  From there you will leverage the license server for your VI3 hosts by going to Administration--vCenter Settings--Licensing--License Server.

Also, depending on what version of vCenter your'e on, you should copy the SSL directory out of the old and into the new vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

we are using vcenter server 4.1.After migration we are planning to upgrade to vcenter 4.1 U2

thx

vmguy

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Please find the attachment.Can you brief more as how to keep the VI3 license server intact or build a standalone license server and where the the SSL directory located so that i can copy.Sorry for that.

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

your license server will be the name of the host listed after the 27000@  You have it marked in red in your screen shot.  Just copy the line into your new vCenter Instance and you'll be good, assuming it's not the same server as the vCenter Host you are going to retire.

Also, just in case, make a note of the Runtime Settings... Administration--vCenter Server Settings--Runtime Settings.  This UID should be the same on your new instance

As for the SSL directory, since your already at 4.1 and going to U2 you shouldn't need to copy it over, but just in case.

c:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

make sure you show hidden files, folders and drives

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Thanks your help.

As you said "assuming it's not the same server as the vCenter Host you are going to retire."  yes its the same vcenter server name having the license server.

Please suggest if anything need to take care.

thanks

vmguy.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you have two choices.  Leave the other OS online, stopping the vCenter Server Service, but leaving the license server running.  If you don't want to have two servers running, copy the .lic file off the existing server, and rebuild a standalone license server on your new vCenter Server.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx_35_licenseserver_dt/dGViZGVoKmJkZXBo

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_legacy_host_lic.pdf

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

You are awsome. But SSL path will be

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\SSL

or
D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\SSL

thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we are not talking about VUM.  We don't care about VUM.  We want the SSL directory for vCenter. However, like I said, you probably won't need them if going to U2, but it's always nice to have them, just in case

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014314

c:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Thanks.It was windows 2003 server.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

Thanks

vmguy

0 Kudos
vmhyperv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

One question i have on this.Datamigration tools option is also possible in this case ?

thanks

vmguys

0 Kudos