VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Migrating VC to a VM - Best practices?

Hi

Looking for some best practices here.

We currently have a physical server running VC 2, license server and the VC database.

I want to install Virtual Center 2.5 in a VM and deploy the license server on this VM as well.

The database will sit on a physical dedicated database server.

I am looking at the best way of doing this so I can decommision old VC server.

The ESX host that will be used is currently in evaluation mode but its license is already added to the license file.

How do I best go about this?

We have about 5 ESX boxes being managed by the old VC and obviously I don't want to break anything.

I am mainly worried about migrating the licensing. Any tips?

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
6 Replies
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With my limited experience I would do it this way ..and interested to hear other people openions

1-Create a new VC database on the physical SQL server.

2-Build a new VM for the new VC, install License server on this VM, Install VC and configure it to use the new DB on the physical SQL, , install Update Manager ...etc

3-Import the license file to the new VC . ensure your licensing all ok

4-Disconnect one of your 5 ESX host from the old VC and connect it to the new VC ..ensure functionality, network ports config all ok then move to migrate the next host

You should easily rollback to resolve issues if you need to by disconnecting the ESX host from the new VC and connect it back to your old VC .

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Maybe a silly question but can I use the same license file twice (one for old install and one for new install)?

Obviously this is only needed during migration. Only have one VC license you see

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not a silly question...I have used the same license file on 2 seperate VC machines during my testing phase and had no issues.

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Awesome, thats good to know.

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Just wondering, what about installing the DB in the same VM making use SQL 2005 express?

Any disadvantages in doing this?

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware recommends this option for not more than 50 VMs

0 Kudos