VMware Cloud Community
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating SQL Express while upgrading to VC 5.0

Hello,

The previous admin in the environment I support, used SQL express instead of SQL enterprise for hosting the VC database.

Current version of VC is 4.1 0 345043 running on a Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) and I'm planning on upgrading to VC 5.0.0 923238.

I was planning on stopping current version of VC and use SQL studio manager to copy the exisisting VC database to our Enterprise 2008 SQL server.

Since I'm using the same 64bit host for VC, is it going to be seen as a upgrade since the DB location has changed or will I have to go with a clean install of VC and use the option "Use an existing supported database" ?

Regards

Giddyup

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Current version of VC is 4.1 0 345043 running on a Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) and I'm planning on upgrading to VC 5.0.0 923238.

I was planning on stopping current version of VC and use SQL studio manager to copy the exisisting VC database to our Enterprise 2008 SQL server.

Since I'm using the same 64bit host for VC, is it going to be seen as a upgrade since the DB location has changed or will I have to go with a clean install of VC and use the option "Use an existing supported database" ?

Yes, if your DSN is pointing to your new Enterprise 2008 SQL server, the option used existing supported database will be appear and able to upgrade. There only DB location change and those all information/configuration before is still there, you need to change DSN pointing to new one and should be work.

Just my one cents

- Azmer.MY -

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos
giddyup
Contributor
Contributor

Azmer

Thanks for the advice.   I'll stop vCenter service and backup my existing VC DB, migrate/restore the DB to SQL enterprise, create ODBCconnection and proceed with upgrading to vCenter 5.0.

Regards

Giddyup.

0 Kudos