VMware Cloud Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating 2.5 to 3.0 General System Error: Virtual NICs with non-consecutiv

Extremely strange error when trying to live migrate our main production VM from 2.5 to 3.0.1 host.

General System Error: Virtual NICS with non-consecutive device unit numbers.

It will not let us migrate live and it is our main production server. I called VMware support and I have never heard such a horrible excuse for tech support.

"Ummm.. sorry, this is way over my head. I call you back in like.. an hour. Our network guy will be in then."

"Can I speak with a manager?"

"There are no manager here. They come in later."

IT'S MONDAY MORNING VMWARE!!!

Hopefully one of you smart folks have seen this before...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
conyards
Expert
Expert

What is the configuration of the VM?

I'm guessing that there are multiple VMNICs configured for the server? any other devices installed, like multiple SCSI adaptors perhaps?

Perhaps during previous device installation the Virtual PCI slots have the NICs seperated by another device. In Vi3 if you installed a SCSI adaptor after NICs then the NICs are automaticaly moved along the to higher PCI slots... I can't remember if this behavior was automatic with ESX2...

Simon

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM is basic stuff:

1 LSI Logic

1 VM Nic

4 Hard Disk

1 CDROM (Not connected)

1 Floppy (Not connected)

Both hosts have 1 vmotion virtual switch and 1 virtual switch for VMs

Even stranger, when we try to migrate a different VM from the same host, it validates fine.

EDIT: Also, this is our main production server. There is no way we can do a cold migration right now

Message was edited by:

dborgill

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anybody else ever seen this error or have any ideas?

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For future reference, the cause was the NICS were named different in the .vmx config files. In the original host, it was Ethernet0 and the destination, it was Ethernet1.

We shut down the VM and edited the .vmx file. After this, it vmotioned just find. Thanks for your help. Hope this helps someone in the future!!

0 Kudos