VMware Cloud Community
i3b
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate vCenter 4.1 DB from SQL Express to Oracle

Is there a way to migrate the vCenter 4.1 backend DB from SQL Express to Oracle without a reinstall of vCenter. I did a google search and found a Knowlege Base article describing how to migrate to SQL Server but I could not find anything on migrating to Oracle.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I was under the impression that you needed a DB converter to do this, but a quick google search returned this forum.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a specific reason you want to do this? The db's are fairly different, and would require quite a bit of table mapping, before you'd be able to switch over. There's no easy way I know to do something like this.

If you have a support contract, I'd ask VMware for some help if you absolutely need to do this, otherwise, I'd start from scratch than to risk something like this.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

vmwise.com / @vmwise

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
i3b
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help. There was no specific reason that I was trying to do this. I had a client ask me this and I didnt believe it would be possible so I just wanted to through it out there to see if anyone else had done this before. It's actually a small test environment with two hosts, so a reinstall should not be an issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos