VMware Cloud Community
mfair
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate hosts to new vCenter server

I have built a new 2008 64bit server for vCenter4 with a clean database.

My hosts currently exist on a vCenter 2.5 server in a HA/DRS cluster. I want to move the hosts to the new VC server without guest downtime. I have disabled DRS and HA on the old VC server but it wants the server to be maintenance mode before removing it from the cluster. I do not want to evacuate the host, I want the VM to come with it to the new VC server. I found the two discussions below they seem to say just simply disconnect and reconnect to the new server. Can I remove a host from a cluster w/o putting it in maintenance mode? Do I just shut off the VC services on the old VC server and add the host to the new server?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1307939#1307939

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1155602#1155602

thanks in advance,

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Mike,

You simply need to remove the hosts from the inventory on the source VC, then add them to the destination - your VMs will continue to run (right click - Disconnect, Right click Remove), then from the new VC, simply add the hosts.

just move the host out of any DRS / HA clusters before you do it.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Removing the host from the cluster is not going to harm the VMs running on it so you will be fine removing it from the inventory and readding it to the new VC.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
mfair
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that worked beautifuly. I was trying to remove first. Disconnecting first was the key.

thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Disconnect

2. Remove

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos