VMware Cloud Community
doubleH
Expert
Expert

Migrate from vCenter 6.0 to VCSA 6.5

Hi,

Would like to bounce a question off of the community. I am testing in my lab and have got to a point where I need validation on what I think is the problem. I am working through the process of upgrading Windows based vCenter 6.0 to VCSA 6.5b.

Current Environment

Windows Server1 - vCenter 6.0 U2 on Windows

Windows Server2 - PSC 6.0 U2 on Windows. This server hosts the SQL Server DB's for vCenter and VUM

Windows Server3 - VUM 6.0 U2 on Windows

Migration Steps

• In my lab I started the Migration Assistant on the PSC
  • On a separate VM I started the Migration Wizard. I was able to get the PSC appliance deployed and the data migrated.
  • Next step was to start the Migration Assistant on the VUM and vCenter servers. On VUM there was no problem. On vCenter it complained about not being able to connect to vCenter. I took a look at the services and saw that the VMware vCenter service was stopped. I tried starting, but no luck.

I believe the problem is because the PSC Windows server was powered off after the data migration. This server has the SQL Server DB's which is why the vCenter would not start. I powered off and deleted the PSC appliance, reverted my snapshot of the Windows PSC and powered on and everything is back to normal.

Question

Is the option to migrate the DB's to another server or is there an alternative idea(s)?

THanks

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vibs1983
Contributor
Contributor

Did you manage to run this migration?

0 Kudos