VMware Cloud Community
spascoe64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate VirtualCenter 2.5 to new Hardware

Hi,

I'm trying to move my VirtualCenter server to a new Physical box. I've tried a drive image move and restore without any luck.

I've built a new VirtualCenter server on W2003. I've installed the most current version of VirtualCenter 2.5 (which is what I have on the original box).

The original box was upgraded from VC 2.0x and therefore the VC database is still in SQL 2000.

I've found the vmworld presentation about bulletproof virtualcenter, but it is for 2.0.x, and not 2.5. The mentioned files don't exist (at least for the config and ssl)

Can anyone list the required files needed to restore a VC instance to new hardware?

Thanks, Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you installing a fresh copy of VC on a new database, or installing VC 2.5 and pointing it to your existing SQL DB? If pointing it to an existing database, all you need to do is down you existing vc, configure the ODBC connections on the new hardware and point the VC install to the existing DB.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you installing a fresh copy of VC on a new database, or installing VC 2.5 and pointing it to your existing SQL DB? If pointing it to an existing database, all you need to do is down you existing vc, configure the ODBC connections on the new hardware and point the VC install to the existing DB.

0 Kudos
spascoe64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Awesome!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

glad I could be of assitance and good luck!!

please consider awarding points for helpful/correct answers

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

one other thing... if you don't have this, on around page 68 it talks about SQL.

Also, if you are using the same host name and IP for your new VC server everything will be good to go. If you change the host name and IP of your new VC server, and assuming your license server is on the new VC server, you may have to point your hosts back to that license server.

you can try to restart the mgmt service as well as the vc agent on each host if it doesn't see the license server right away.

At the ESX host console login with root permissions and type:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos