I have a question regarding the migration of the VC database from an MSDE to an SQL instance.
When our VI3 environment was set up by consultant 'experts' it seems that they set our production environment to run from an MSDE database, which I as I understand is neither recommended nor supported.
To rectify this I am setiing up a new Virtual Centre server to run the service and host the database on an SQL 2000 instance (hosted locally).
Setting up the server is no problem, but what would be the best procedure for re-installing the VC? My procedure plan would be as follows:
1. Install SQL2000 on new server
2. Create DSN to local instance
3. Stop VC services on current VC server
4. Install VC on new server
5. Update /etc/vmware/vpxa.cfg to reflect new IP address
6. Install license server on new VC
7. Update ESX hosts to point to new license server
I am unsure where the database migration comes into play, if at all.
I had our DBA detach the MSDE DB and attach to the SQL 2005 DB. Repointed the ODBC connector to the new location and all was OK.
Make sure the owner of the new DB is vclogin
This gives the commands to detach and attach the MSDE DB