VMware Cloud Community
Clayton_J
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate Datastores through VI3?

Hi All,

My team just purchased a new SAN and are in the process of migrating from the old platform to the new (EMC to NetApp). Right now I've got both SANs tied to Virtual Center and my ESX hosts.

Is there a way for me to migrate the data from one storage device to the other through virtual center?

\- Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The converter would work as well - yes.

Please mark the answer as correct or helpful if it was correct or helpful. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yep, you can migrate the VMs when source and target ESX host are in the same datacenter within Virtual Center.

Shutdown the VM, right click, move ... and select the new host.

cheeko

Clayton_J
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, that was far too simple for me to have posted here... thanks for your help! I'd been using Converter to copy the machine to the new datastore up to this point.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The converter would work as well - yes.

Please mark the answer as correct or helpful if it was correct or helpful. Thanks.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think I posted this in the "Feature Requests" forum, but I'm hoping that the next version will fully support "hot" disk migrations. Right now, you can migrate a 2.5.x VM to VI3 and relocate to a VMFS3 volume live. However, this is not currently an option for VI3 - VI3 VMotions.

So, maybe you won't have to shutdown the VM in the future. But for now, yeah, its quite easy to select the "relocate virtual machine files to a different datastore" option when migrating a downed VM.

BTW - you marked the question answered, but failed to award the points to Mr. Cheeko. You should do that also. Thanks.

Regards,

J

Clayton_J
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the post, I'll mark that as helpful as well - how do I award points?

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

how do I award points?

You just did by marking the specific posts themselves as Correct or Helpful. Just marking the question itself answered does not do so.

Thanks! And welcome to the forums.

0 Kudos