VMware Cloud Community
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft OS to Oracle Database - help :(

Hi, I'm currently on an industrial placement and have been given the task of helping set up vCenter to work with the Oracle VM farms but am over my head and seeking help.

The server has been installed on a Microsoft machine and a client on there will connect to a local SQL Server database. However, now they want it to connect to remote Oracle databases. Does someone have a guide/list of basic steps to get this set up? Looking at some documentation on vCenter it talks about creating new tablespaces and users; is this required for access to be possible or is that only when you're creating the server on there? If it is required then what else is for connecting to that database to be possible?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well for one there is no path going from SQL to Oracle, or any database for that matter. If you are over your head, you probably should not mess with Oracle either. You should consult an Oracle DBA. Don't try to do this yourself.

Any database is as simple as dumping the data (export) then importing the data. But the schemas are TOTALL different, this is where you can really mess things up. for you it's going to be easier to dump SQL and start over with Oracle. You can be here for hours, and not be any better off than you are now, trying to move the data over.

Oracle is a LOT more complex than SQL. Thats not to say Oracle is more powerful, just move involved.

0 Kudos
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I meant from vCenter on Windows pointing to Oracle (RedHat). They got it to work on a local SQL database but now want to try it on a remote Oracle database (connecting from vCenter on Windows; not SQL server).

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

They got it to work on a local SQL database but now want to try it on a remote Oracle database (connecting from vCenter on Windows; not SQL server).

Yes, I understand what you want. You can't migrate FROM SQL to Oracle. There is no path to move the data.

Start over with a fresh Oracle database. It's not really that hard.

geddam
Expert
Expert

Yes, thats true there is no path defined for migrating MS-SQL to Oracle DB. Schema definitions and stored procedures are not created in same way as MS SQL for Oracle.For every purge and commit there are different scripts executed accordingly.

Look for below KBs if you want to migrate the database to Oracle (obviously this will be a new DB)...

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009039

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Are you saying that a Windows vCenter Server is incompatable with Oracle databases? Your use of SQL makes me think you keep referring to an Oracle-SQL Server relation and I think of vCenter as separate to SQL Server~

I think this discussion about Linux connecting to Oracle; is that the only option I can do?

I don't see why SQL Developer installed on Windows can work with Oracle Databases but vCenter cannot given that they both advertise Oracle compatability.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Are you saying that a Windows vCenter Server is incompatable with Oracle

databases?

NO, it is compatible (look for KB suggested for vCenter, which will tell, what versions of Oracle DB are supported)

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, that page didn't provide much. I've already created a user and granted privileges on the Oracle database as suggested on page 79 . I didn't do "In SQL*Plus, run the scripts in sequence on the database." on the following page because the files aren't on the Oracle server.

I don't see why all these files and a "vCenter Server installation package" would be required on the Oracle database when the vCenter Server is on a different machine. Are these .sql scripts on the Oracle server required just so the vCenter server can connect to and use it?

And of course there is no "/<installation directory>/vpx/dbschema" directory on the database server because nothing has been installed on there (only the Windows vCenter Server).

Edit: Ok perhaps I can explain the requirements better now. They have it set up on Windows but they've become limited by the license they use. Instead of upgrading they want to use the Oracle database created recently to act as a repository; is this possible? Is there a guide for such a thing? Are those .sql scripts required for this?

0 Kudos