VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Microsoft Clustered Virtual Machines

Can someone step me thru or show me the document that allows me to create a two node Microsoft Cluster with two Virtual Machines? I've read the VMware document called Setup for Microsoft Cluster Service but am confused about the creation of the Quorum and Data disks ....having never done clustering before.........

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you create virtual disks with the vi client (the GUI interface) by default the disks are not zeroed - this allows for quicker disk creation - by using the vmkfstools command will force the zeroing - this is done as a precaution to reduce the chance of problems setting up the mscs cluster -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

here is the vmware pdf about MSCS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

damit you answered before me ^^

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This document isn't much different than the earlier version I read. The part that confuses me is the creation of the two disks, Quotum and DATA. It indicates that the way I create them is via VMKFSTOOLS -c ...etc. Since I've never done clustering before AND from what little I've read thusfar, I'm presuming that the Quorum disk can be placed on a SAN LUN and I could create it as about 300mb and the same for the second DATA disk...on a SAN LUN and create it something like 10GB (depends on expected capacity) with the size being more like 10000 to reflect it is MB????

This is supposed to "zero out" the drives. But, what I don't understand is ....what is different about doing it this way and just ADDING new drives to the VM in VirtualCenter?? Since they are new vDisks, aren't they already zero'd out?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you create virtual disks with the vi client (the GUI interface) by default the disks are not zeroed - this allows for quicker disk creation - by using the vmkfstools command will force the zeroing - this is done as a precaution to reduce the chance of problems setting up the mscs cluster -

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

interesting. Thanks.

So, since I'd like to use Virtual Shared Disks, I'll need to do it as Two Node in a Box and I create the VMs with the first default vDisk (boot) located on the Local Storage...and, then I create the Quorum (Shared)vDisk on one of my SAN LUNs and then create the Second Node Shared vDisk to that same location vmdk file.

I noticed that in the earlier pages that it suggests the I create this Quorum vDisk prior to creating the VMs. Does this matter? I can redo the process but I've already created both VMs.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With 3.5u2 you now can have your boot disks on the SAN as well - I do not think it matters that you you have not created the quorum disks -

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. One last question: What size is in the vmkfstools command referring to? I thought the default was in mb so I set it to 300 but I get a response that it is set too small. The help indicates it to be # (gGmMkK) and I presume it means I should set it to 300m or 300M but that doesn't seem to work, ether.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AHA...discovered my problem. I did not inititate the vmkfstools command from within the Volume folder. It works now.

Thanks very much. appreciate all your help...appreciate everyone's input

0 Kudos