Contributor
Contributor

MemorySizeNotRecommended

Hi,

My customer is busy upgrading from ESX 3.0.2 to ESX3.5. Process followed was:

1. Migrate vms off host, remove host from VC

2. Do new install using Altris image of ESX 3.5

3. Add ESX Host back into VC and migrate VMs back onto ESX Host

This worked great until we tried to migrate the vms back again. We then got the following error: " Migration from "source esx host" to "target esx host": fault.MemorySizeRecommended.summary"

Any ideas???

Dave

0 Kudos
16 Replies
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have the same problem in our enviroment.

Opened a case with WMWare and the say it,s a bug and the engenerings are checking this up

//Lasse Olsson

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like something in the advanced settings.

Or it could be a configuration error in the VM's. You can try editing the settings for one the VM's with the error, and then save it. Just change the memory to something else, then change it back. See if that works.

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

It works if the size it smaller then 6GB.

VMware say it's a bug and we hope to get an answer

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

got similar issue when trying tom igrate from an ESX 3.01 to an 3.5 server...

worked perfectlyfro VMs with 4gb but failed on all ones that had more memory..I got a warning

Fault.MemorySizeNotRecommended. summary but it still continues t then states that its migrating and finally times out.

maybe I should raise a case with VMware over this... so that they are aware more than one person has same issue

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

God idea.

We haven't upgrade, made a clean install of 3.5.

Strange issue...

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

one last question for you W are your Vms having this issue Windows 2003 R2?

regards

philip

0 Kudos
vv1
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, windows 2003X64

0 Kudos
tempepa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just had the same problem after migration my vmfs lun from one san to another san. In my case, for some strange reason, the memory of the vm was changed to 64KB after de- and registering of the virtual machine.

Changing the vm's memory to the correct size, fixed it for me.

Regards,

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I got this warning on a 8GB VM on ESX 3.0.1 with VC 2.5 U1.

Changing from Guest Operating System (in Options) from Windows Standard Edition (64-bit) to Enterprise Edition (64-bit) got rid of the error message.

0 Kudos
charlie88
Contributor
Contributor

Just got the same - a 64-bit W2K3 VM configured with 5GB RAM. Changing OS type in the VM setting to x64 Enterprise gets rid of the error. Only introduced since we updated to VC 2.5. Looks to me like VMWare are warning that W2K3 Standard can only address 4GB - but they haven't factored in that this is only relevant for 32-bit, not 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that at our site we experience the same problem. We'll wait for a bugfix from VMWare and will not change the guest OS.

0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know if 3.5 Update 2 has fixed this?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Its not fixed in u2 because we have created a couple of W2K3 64bit standard VMs with 8GB and see the warning.

Regards

Joerg

--

Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

I also see this issue.

Does DRS work. or do i need to change OS type to get it to work ?

/Lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS only works if VMotion works so chances are pretty high you better change the OS selection.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

But Vmotion works... i just receive a warning.

/lars

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos