VMware Cloud Community
joshwilske
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maximum (3) number of hosts allowed for this edition of vCenter Server has been reached

The following error shows up in my vCenter Server events every minute or so:

"Maximum (3) number of hosts allowed for this edition of vCenter Server has been reached"

I have a vCenter Server Foundation (4.0) license with three hosts. I am aware that this lisense only supports three hosts. Why does vCenter have to log an error every minute to tell me this? Can I have this ignored so it doesn't visually clog up the events list?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mrjong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And to reply to myself yet again, VMware have just contacted me and it has been registered as a bug and will be fixed in update 1 whenever that comes out. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nicx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have the same problem, how can i disable this?

0 Kudos
DCSmanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Me too. Its logging this error about 3 times a minute!

Probably our fault for buying the 'cheap' foundation version! haha

If anybody figures this out would be much appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Where are you guys seeing these events? Are they in the Windows event log or in the vCenter log? I am running vCenter Foundation and am not seeing these logs anywhere.

I doubt this will solve your problem, but you can adjust the logging level of vCenter from within the VI Client. From the Administration menu, select VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration. There is a section in there called Logging Options that lets you control the level of logging for vCenter. I just tried adjusting mine from the "Info (Normal logging)" setting to "Trivia (Extended logging)" and I still didn't see the error. That said it might be worth trying to adjust that and seeing if it makes any difference for you.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
nicx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you can find them in the virtual center console on the page "home -> management -> events -> vcenter server name"

nicx...

0 Kudos
DCSmanager
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

question for VMmatty:

how many esx server do you have on your foundation version? this didnt happen until my 3rd esx was added and the error is just saying no more left. Looked at the logging options and the only way i can get it to stop is to turn off logging completely..

Steve

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Good point, I just have two ESX hosts in my cluster.

If you have a support contract with VMware, I would open a case online and see if they have any answers. Seems like a bug to me.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
mrjong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same issue on vSphere Essentials PLUS. Just set up licencing on three ESXi servers and get the same error logging every minute or so.

0 Kudos
mrjong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have opened a support request with VMware and will post back when I hear anything. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mrjong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And to reply to myself yet again, VMware have just contacted me and it has been registered as a bug and will be fixed in update 1 whenever that comes out. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am having the same but I am using ESX 3.5.0 up4 with vSphere vCenter. Are there any updates or patches we can apply to stop it happening or is it really a case of waiting for 4 update 1.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos