VMware Cloud Community
Jeff061
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Manually import patch repository into Update Manager

Hi guys. I've read all the directions for pulling this off. Specifically I used vmware-umds to download it on another system and then exported it to a directory on the vCenter server.

The next step was to use vmware-updatedownloadcli.exe to import it on the server. However VUM 4.0 does not have or support the command anymore. Is there a replacement utility or a different way of doing it on 4? I've searched around and I can't find any other ways to get this done. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

I was able to do this finally. Once you have done the downloaded and exported into a file, which is what I did, you then transport that file whatever way you want/can into your isolated system as a directory. In other words... you have on your UMDS machine, after export, a directory named "whatever" with a folder named "Hostupdate"(this contains all the updates), a file named "version1.txt", and another file named "version.txt". Now you need to take the folder called "whatever" and copy that to the system drive on the vm/physical machine that your Update Manager is on. Then go into Update Manager and then clik on the Configuration tab. Choose "Patch Download Settings", unclik "Direct connection to Internet" and clik "Use a shared repository". Now put in the path to the folder you just moved to the system drive. In my case it was c:\patchesx4. Last step, clik "Download" object to the right of path statement. It should say "connected" afterwards.

My export file was very large so I found that you can delete any updates in the folder "Hostupdate" that you know you do not need and it still works fine. I had tried to download only the updates I wanted but it won't do only those..it has to do every update for the last umpteen years unfortunately, but at least you can delete the unwanted ones.

Now that I have that figured out I am going to try and figure out using the baselines etc.

Hope this does what you need it to do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

I have been looking all over for the answer to the same question.

0 Kudos
Jeff061
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get internet access to the vCenter server. I'd still love a solution for this in case I run into again with another client.

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for replying. I did manage to get the updates into the isolated system by transferring the update zip files to a workstation on the isolated system then using remote cli commands to update a host but I really want to get the VUM to work the way it is supposed to. I am going to work on it again today and if I come up with a solution I will let you know.

Kieth

0 Kudos
khenry567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jeff,

I was able to do this finally. Once you have done the downloaded and exported into a file, which is what I did, you then transport that file whatever way you want/can into your isolated system as a directory. In other words... you have on your UMDS machine, after export, a directory named "whatever" with a folder named "Hostupdate"(this contains all the updates), a file named "version1.txt", and another file named "version.txt". Now you need to take the folder called "whatever" and copy that to the system drive on the vm/physical machine that your Update Manager is on. Then go into Update Manager and then clik on the Configuration tab. Choose "Patch Download Settings", unclik "Direct connection to Internet" and clik "Use a shared repository". Now put in the path to the folder you just moved to the system drive. In my case it was c:\patchesx4. Last step, clik "Download" object to the right of path statement. It should say "connected" afterwards.

My export file was very large so I found that you can delete any updates in the folder "Hostupdate" that you know you do not need and it still works fine. I had tried to download only the updates I wanted but it won't do only those..it has to do every update for the last umpteen years unfortunately, but at least you can delete the unwanted ones.

Now that I have that figured out I am going to try and figure out using the baselines etc.

Hope this does what you need it to do.

0 Kudos
Jeff061
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good info. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6pk2go
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OMG!  I have been looking for this for EVER!!!  Who knew it would be so easy.

0 Kudos
CCSL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

....and what happens when more updates have been released and you need to re-import the patches. This is the problem I am having. I have replaced the content of the 'whatever' folder but when I select 'download now' on the update manager configuration tab the new patches do not appear in the Pacth Repository.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos