VMware Cloud Community
rbeu
Contributor
Contributor

Management network redundancy in VC 2.5

I saw this article on one possible way to get rid of the new alert in VC 2.5 about management network redundancy and it seems like a good idea to me if you don't have an extra physical NIC available and don't want the alert present the whole time. The gist of the article is that you create a second Service Console Port on your vSwitch which hosts your vm traffic, the argument being it's only there as backup and 99.9% of the time there won't be a significant amount of traffic on it potentially impacting the network performance of your vm's. Are there any drawbacks to this approach that I'm not seeing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried adding a second service console to my vmotion vswitch and still get the warning. My vmotion network is on an isolated vlan, does virtual center need to communicate to the secondary vswitch for the warning to go away? I know it can not be a connectivity issue because I can vmotion between the servers with no problem.

0 Kudos
XavierE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same warning. The Resource Managemetn guide (page 168) talks about the service console. It says that primary and secondary service consoles need to talk to each other so if you have the secondary SC isolated (regardless vmotion works fine) that's probably why you still have the warning. I have 2 hosts with 2 SCs (Primary and Secondary) and I don't get the warnings anymore. See file attached

-

if this was helpful please assign points----

0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reconfigured HA after making the change and that resolved the issue. I guess you have to reconfigure it once you add the second interface.

0 Kudos