VMware Cloud Community
rmagoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MS Volume License Key (VLK) Exposure in VirtualCenter Customization Wizard

We want to leverage the VirtualCenter Customization Wizard to deploy server templates. Because of the large size of this enterprise, they cannot afford to release the Microsoft Volume License Key (VLK) from within the Customization Wizard. They want the administrators to create custom servers but without the VLK exposure to prevent possible abuse. We have investigated using Newsid instead, but the limited Microsoft support has them concerned. Has anyone else dealt with this problem, and how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Noticed this several years ago, I believe I submitted a request to VMware to encrypt this field - just as the new Administrator password field is. Obviously, this hasn't been done. Perhaps additional "Feature Requests" from you and other who would like to see this could help.

One thing you can do is remove the key from the customization and require the VLK manager to enter it upon first boot of the new system when prompted. Not optimal, I'm sure.

0 Kudos