VMware Cloud Community
saldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MS SQL Server 2008

Well vmworld was great and now I'm really moving forward implemetning a full virtual datacenter. I'm working to install Virtual Center 2.5 and I'm having trouble with the MS SQL Server configuration. I'm using MS SQL Server 2008 since I couldn't purchase a license for an older version. I am totally lost when it comes to this product. I am not a DBA and I don't want to be. I just need some detailed advice on how to set the database up so I can install Virtual Center. I have not found any articles in the knowledge base on this subject and the documentation glosses over the subject. Thanks.

- Tom

- Tom
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: VirtualCenter 2.x.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need to do ANYTHING on the SQL side. Just ensure you installed SQL 2008, install SQL agent, and that you can ping it. Then from the VC server, run a wizard to verify odbc connectivity to that SQL 2008 instance (make sure you know the fully qualified name, ip, login, etc..). If you can do a test, then you should be good.

VC will do EVERYTHING else for you. It will install appropriate database/tables and then you are set. Follow the instructions for VC, that's all you need.

saldon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried that. I was unable to connect to the database. I know all of the information you said I need to know (FQDN, IP, login, etc). I'm running SQL Server on the same machine as Virtual Center.

When I try to connect (in the wizard) I get:

Connection failed:
SQLState: '28000'
SQL Server Error: 18456
[ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'XXXXXX'

- Tom

- Tom
0 Kudos
PatruMau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to login to sql with this user with Management Studio?

Are you sure that the user has no "change password at next logon" option in SQL Server ?

Does the user have access to his default DB ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Tom, are you installing VC on the same server where you have SQL installed? A few things to note

1) SQL 2008 is not supported (http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf) and depending on your licensing program you will be able to install SQL 2005 with your 2008 license. It would be best to go with SQL 2005.

2) As mentioned, the VC setup will take care of creating the VC tables, etc, but you will need to setup a SQL maintenance plan for the DB. That should include backups, integrity checks and optimization jobs.

3) If you're using a remote SQL Server, then you have to create a SQL login for this (you can't use NT authenication).

4) You will need to create a SQL database before you start the install. The SQL login (weither it be a SQL account or NT account ) will need DBO rights in this database (as well DBO rights temporarily in the MSDB database for the install process).

0 Kudos
tjgraves
Contributor
Contributor

Salden, Have you had any success with SQL 2008 , even if it is not supported? I am running into the same issues, as you. Same error messages

Connection failed:
SQLState: '28000'
SQL Server Error: 18456
Microsoft[ODBC SQL|http://communities.vmware.com/community-document-picker.jspa?communityID=&subject=ODBCSQLServer+Driver]

Tim

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

yup I've got the same problem trying to get VC working on SQL 2008 in my lab - thought I'd give it ago but no luck. I'm reverting back to SQL 2005

0 Kudos
gnmugoya
Contributor
Contributor

My colleague set up SQL 2008 in a Windows server 2008 std and it worked fine so i guess you wanna try that.

0 Kudos
AaronPayne
Contributor
Contributor

I got this working today in my environment. I had to jump through a few hoops to get there but here is what I did.

Installed VC on a SQL2005 server.

Disabled VC Server

Detached VC Database from SQL2005 and moved DB/LOG files to SQL2008 Server.

Attach VC Database to SQL2008

Created VC SQL Auth Login on SQL2008 Server and gave it DBO permissions to the VC Database.

Put VC Database into SQL2005 compatibility mode (may be unnecessary).

Here is the important step. You MUST use the SQL 2005 Native Client driver for your DNS connetivity. The SQL 2008 Native Client 10 driver will NOT work.

• Note: It is possible that you may be able to do a direct install of VC to the SQL 2008 server, but I was having so may problems getting things working in 2008 that I had already decied to go back to SQL2005 and completed the VC installation there when I then decided to try this one last step. In any event, it doesn't appear to me that there are any problems running the DB on the SQL 2008 server - it's the connectivity with the DSN thats the problem. Use the SQL 2005 DSN.

0 Kudos
nrodriquez
Contributor
Contributor

So I just attempted to move my VC instance on SQL Express to our production SQL 2008 box for backup reason, etc.

I am having trouble getting the service to restart of course. I am using the SQL 2005 Native Client. The dbo.owner rold has been given the correct permissions and the DSN connects successfully. Problem is when I go to restart the VC service it stops and gives an error that the service has shutdown unexpectedly.

If I go to repair the VC install using Add/Remove programs, I get to the option to connect to an existing SQl instance and I choose that, then when I try and connect using the same creds as the DSN, it fails.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I just tried SQL 2008 as well and has the same error does anyone has a resolution to this? I know its not supported yet but worth a tried.

an unhandled win32 exception occurred in vpxd.exe

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
samsonmohan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

To connect to the MS SQL Server 2008 running on VMWare, you have to enable the port 1433.

Refer the URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx

or follow the steps below:

To open a port in the Windows firewall for TCP access

On the Start menu, click Run, type WF.msc, and then click OK.

In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, in the left pane, right-click Inbound Rules, and then click New Rule in the action pane.

In the Rule Type dialog box, select Port, and then click Next.

In the Protocol and Ports dialog box, select TCP. Select Specific local ports, and then type the port number of the instance of the Database Engine, such as 1433 for the default instance. Click Next.

In the Action dialog box, select Allow the connection, and then click Next.

In the Profile dialog box, select any profiles that describe the computer connection environment when you want to connect to the Database Engine, and then click Next.

In the Name dialog box, type a name and description for this rule, and then click Finish.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

go to management studio, right click and run as administrator. with me works fine

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
MD2000
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error trying to create a new login and 32-bit odbc on the SQL Express database installed by Vcenter 5  - simple, it turned out  (when I read the SQL log) VCenter installed SQL Express 2008 with Windows authentication only. Switch to mix mode, restart, and connection works.

0 Kudos