VMware Cloud Community
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lost connectivity to storage device

I occasionally see Lost connectivity to storage device errors on my vCenter server. I've investigated and found no connectivity problems at all. These errors stop generating after I reboot the vCenter server. My Compellent iSCSI SAN is not showing any problems. Strangely, it always seems to be being reported by one of my ESX servers that was updated from ESX 3.5. The other server in my cluster started on 4.0. Could there be any correlation?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

What version of VCenter are you using?

What gives you errors - ESX or VCenter itself?

iSCSI Software Support Department

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter version shows build 208111. Now that I dig a little deeper, it does look like ESX is reporting the error. I'll go ahead and open a trouble ticket with VMware.

0 Kudos
bfrericks
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious, did you ever find a resolution to this? We have the same situation, 4 hosts that were upgraded from 3.5 to 4.0 and we also have a Compellent SAN. I religiously get these every day. I'm wondering if my replication is affecting the SAN's ability to reply to iSCSI requests. Anyway, if you happen to have come to a resolution if you would be willing to share that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have an open case with VMware, but it's been difficult to get a hold of my engineer. When I know more I'll post it.

FWIW, if you reboot the vCenter server it seems to keep the email notifications from appearing as often.

0 Kudos
bfrericks
Contributor
Contributor

Hey thatnks for replying back. I think I will engage Compellent as well. Seems odd that we both upgraded to 4.0 both have Compellent systems and both are experiencing the same issue. I was unable to fiund anyone else with the exact same issue on a different SAN. I'll also post if I find anything.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with the support engineer. He had me remove the vpx and aam packages from both of my ESX hosts and then re-install them. The engineer THINKS it may be a reporting issue. We're going to watch it over the next few days and will report back.

I have engaged Compellent on this issue and all seems to be OK on that end. No check conditions existed on any of my drives in the SAN.

0 Kudos
DAMahoney
Contributor
Contributor

Did that fix resolve your issue? I am having the same problem, 2 hostrunning 4.0 that were upgraded from 3.5, I am using an Equallogic SAV connected through iSCSI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

0 Kudos