VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Logging and reading logs

I need to detect the reason because yesterday a given guest VM hosted by an ESXi 5.0 server managed by a vCenter 5.0 server in a lab area powered off, maybe due to a manual shutdown or a system crash.

Files inside the guest VM do not provide useful information.

I am sure that the guest VM was working in the last 7 days.

• The guest specific vmware.log file contains events only from February 9th to February 10th: is there a logging function I should have enabled or disabled?
  • Where can I locate additional events for the given VM?
  • I downloaded the logs from the vCenter server: I got a file whose name sounds like "esxiservername.domain.extension-vmsupport-2012-02-15@14-13-35.tgz" containing about 800 files: where can I look in order to locate anything meaningful?
  • I opened the vCenter client, selected the ESXi server hosting the VM I need to investigate and I discovered that the "Tasks & events" tab contains events only for few days: again, should I have enabled and disabled logging? Where can I locate information for the other days?

I presume I must enable alerts. In the meantime, how can I get information about events not associated to alerts?

I realize that my question can sound confused, but, besides finding the information I need about a specific event, I want to understand how to collect and find information: is there any specific guide or docuiment I can use?

Regards

marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies