VMware Cloud Community
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Local disk not appearing as a datastore

Created new esx 3.0.2 server on a HP BL460c G1 blade but the local drive isn't showing up as a datastore. When I look at the configuration tab and select the vmhba0 option, under the Smart Array E200i, it shows me the details of the local drive as expected.

Path=vmhba0:0:0 Canonical path=vmhba0:0:0 Capacity=68.33GB lun ID=0

When I select Storage (SCSI, SAN, and NFS) and select add storage, and select disk/lun I get an option to add vmhba0:0:0 68.33GB lun 0. This dosn't work as the local drive can't be formatted.

Has anyone come accross this issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

During the install you should of had to set up a partition with a vmfs3 file system. Do you have attached storage as well? ESX will not install without a vmfs3 partition somewhere. If you run vdf -l do one of the disks show up as fb? Linux can't understand the vmfs so it shows up as fb as the file system.

You can also rescan from the terminal with esxcfg-rescan

or

vmkfstools -s

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

can you see it here

ls /vmfs/volumes/

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No fb? all looks as it should.

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 5036316 1777016 3003468 38% /

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 101089 34091 61779 36% /boot

none 134092 0 134092 0% /dev/shm

/dev/cciss/c0d0p7 2008108 86780 1819320 5% /var/log

/vmfs/devices 490821218 0 490821218 0% /vmfs/devices

I set this machine up the same way that I setup the other 8 and it is the only one I have had this issue with. The only thing that is different is this is the first esx install on a bl460c.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

If you run vdf -l do one of the disks show up as fb?

Shouldn't that be "fdisk -l" ?

PS: Have you tried rebooting the host? If you change partition info, then ESX doesn't recognize the new partition until you reboot the system.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Chamon
Commander
Commander

You are correct. Sorry about that. One thing that I dont see in the vdf -l is the /vmfs/volumes/ This is where your vmfs should be. Did the suggested reboot work?

Here is some information on how to create and align the new vmfs volume from the terminal.

To align VMFS volumes, the alignment will be done at ESX server level using fdisk and at the VM level. This is because both the ESX Server and the clients will put MBRs on the LUNs. The ESX must align the VMFS volume, and the client systems must align their virtual disks.

To align the ESX server:

1. On service console, execute fdisk /dev/sd is the device on which you would like to create the VMFS.

2. Type "n" to create a new partition.

3. Type "p" to create a primary partition.

4. Type "1" to create partition #1.

5. Select the defaults to use the complete disk.

6. Type "x" to get into expert mode.

7. Type "b" to specify the starting block for partitions.

8. Type "1" to select partition #1.

9. Type "128" to make partition #1 to align on 64KB boundary.

10. Type "r" to return to the main menu.

11. Type "t" to change partition type.

12. Type "1" to select partition #1.

13. Type "fb" to set the type to fb (VMFS volume).

14. Type "w" to write label and the partition information to disk.

By declaring the partition type as fb, the ESX server will recognize the partition as an unformatted VMFS volume. You should be able to put a VMFS file system on it using the MUI or vmkfstools. Next, the virtual disks for each VM must be aligned. For Linux VMs follow the procedure listed above. For Windows VMs, use the procedure for Windows, above.

timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I managed to get this problem solved by downloading the latest firmware for esx 3.0.x for the bl460c and installing it. I had to rebuild the server once the firmware was updated. Unlike the p-class hp blades the c-class has a lot more you need to setup.

The firmware etc can be found on the hp web site.

Thanks for all your help on this. The commands to check the drives will be very useful

0 Kudos
fadfo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just connect to your ESX server using VI client and then browse to configuration tab and go to Storage option and click Add Storage.

the following KB explain step-by-step and why this behaviour occurs.

Cheers,

0 Kudos