jmacdonagh
Contributor
Contributor

Load balancing in VC

Hi all,

Let's say I have 3 ESX servers connected to a VirtualCenter machine. Then, let's say that I want to power on 4 virtual machines on the same vSwitch that is not connected to a physical NIC on one of the servers (the 4 VMs will be able to talk to each other, but will be isolated from the rest of the world). Now obviously this is easy if all 4 VMs are on the same physical machine, but I was wondering if VC could automatically load balance the resource requirements of these 4 VMs across all 3 machines, while still maintaining the isolated vSwitch.

If this is possible, is it also possible to then allocate one physical NIC to that vSwitch? E.g. let's say that I bring all 4 machines online, 2 go on server 1, 1 on server 2, and 1 on server 3. Those machines are connected to a single vSwitch that somehow spans across all 3 servers. Can I then allocate one physical NIC to that spanned vSwitch and only have those 4 machines have the ability to talk to whatever was hooked to that NIC?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it is not possible to do this using internal only switches - by there very design the traffic remains internal to the ESX host nor can a vswitch span across hosts - the only way to do this is to create vswitches on each host with a pNIC connected to an isolated physical switch - this will allow DRS to power on the vm and balnce the load across the hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos